You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
erica gardner
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by erica gardner »

ya i would i love to live forever to see all of everything in the world to see how people live in many ways to know what is love is really about to know the joy of life the sadness of losing a love one to be whatever my heart wants to know how be are different and their history :oops: :lol: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: :D :D
dark_euphoria
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dark-euphoria.html

Post by dark_euphoria »

I think there are a few things to consider and one of the things I have wondered about is would you become an immortal such as in Shelly's 'The Mortal Immortal' where he actually becomes full of youth and vitality and seems to exist in that perpetual state of youth or would you become some sort of grotesque zombie like creature who lives despite any injuries that would kill/maim others? What if you risked being hit by a car and were to be forever confined to a ruined body?
Aside from that you have the obvious sadness of continually seeing your loved ones die...I don't like it when a pet dies let alone watching partners and relatives die. It makes you wonder how desensitised to death you would become. I suppose though if you were immortal at least you could be useful in going into dangerous areas although that makes me think of my first query, would you stay intact or would you become injured and suffer and have to wait to regenerate? Not for me I think!
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

I would not want to be immortal, at least not here on Earth, in this world. I believe in life after death, but I don't think I'd want to stay here indefinitely...life here has good parts, but also a lot of bad parts.
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I would not choose to be immortal. I do not think it sounds appealing. Life is supposed to be about surprises and learning but if one is immortal then they have seen it all and learned much of what they can. This could easily turn into a boring life that involves trying to find excitement. I also would not like seeing people I care about die over and over again. It would involve not getting close to people to avoid the heartbreak. I think it would be a lonely life.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

No I would not choose to be immortal. I already get bored with this world. I couldn't imagine not being given the chance to be at peace and hand it off to the next generation.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Renee24
Currently Reading: The Heist
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee24.html

Post by Renee24 »

If I was immortal like Q in Star Trek Next Generation, than that would be an intriguing idea. But if I am immortal on Earth, than not so much. Not sure I'd want to live on Earth for a gazillion years, assuming it lasts that long. lol
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

It's a great question. Without looking at any of the other answers I think my response would be yes - if you could still die by accident. That is, I happen to be there when the bomb goes off or the some other catastrophe happens. If I could not die under any circumstances probably not, eternity is a very long time and to live past the heat death of the universe. Boring. Another factor is, am I the only immortal? Immortality might not be so bad with enough people along. Also, do I age and become infirm? Can I be crippled? An endless life of agony would make me say no. So I find I have a lot more circumstances in which I would say no than those where I would say yes.
Between the Shelves
Currently Reading: Holding up the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-between-the-shelves.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Between the Shelves »

Like many of the others here, I think immortality would be incredibly lonely, unless you were able to bring some loved ones with you. Definitely a difficult decision, though!
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
kdawnh

Post by kdawnh »

Oh Yeah. but would probably be greedy and ask if my hubby could too. I'd miss him a little if not.
Atomixx Blends

Post by Atomixx Blends »

No way...never...

-- 12 Feb 2017, 21:35 --

no way....
ZamaMbatha88
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zamambatha88.html

Post by ZamaMbatha88 »

If I won't grow older than I am now yes I'd take the opportunity but if I will still grow old no I won't take it.....
Cathy Crawford
Favorite Author: Mois Benarroch
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-crawford.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 38518

Post by Cathy Crawford »

I'd be afraid of what happened to the immortal being in Doug Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Essentially, the Sunday afternoons would be the worst. he describes it as the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

No thanks!
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I am not sure if I would want to be immortal if given the chance. The thought of living forever is kind of daunting to me. Living a full life and being healthy would be a priority to me instead of longevity. Interesting question though.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

Definitely not. As much as I'd love more time to read books and travel and spend time with friends and family, I feel that if I knew I had all the time in the world, I wouldn't cherish those things anymore and I'd procrastinate. It would also be pretty awful to have to watch everyone else pass away knowing you have to start over. This question brings to mind "Tuck Everlasting" - a good exploration of the idea!
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

This is a difficult question to answer however I believe I would not wish to become immortal if given the chance. I believe we were put on this earth for a finite amount of time. I think it may seem exciting at the beginning of your immortality but as the years wore on it would become tiresome. Humans tend to not learn from the generations that have come before them and make the same mistakes over and over. We would also outlive all our friends and family. Although we could make new friends over and over I think we would be lonely for our parents,children and significant others from the past.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”