You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

No I dont think I will want to become an immortal. It would be like exchanging many new exciting lives for an eternally long old one. Or in terms of books it would be like reading a very very long book instead of getting a chance to explore many more new titles and authors :eusa-think:
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The Researcher wrote:No I dont think I will want to become an immortal. It would be like exchanging many new exciting lives for an eternally long old one. Or in terms of books it would be like reading a very very long book instead of getting a chance to explore many more new titles and authors :eusa-think:
I like the way you have compared immortality with books. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?

I will want to become immortal. There are endless possibilities in an immortal life, not to mention the endless time to read. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

gali wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?

I will want to become immortal. There are endless possibilities in an immortal life, not to mention the endless time to read. 8)
You'd run out of books. ?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
gali wrote:

There are too many books for that, and more are coming out every day. :mrgreen:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

gali wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:
gali wrote:
There are too many books for that, and more are coming out every day. :mrgreen:

Same; if in a moment of weakness I picked immortality, I'd want to never run out of books and look 25 forever. But I don't think I'd choose that, even if it means missing out on all the books I could read :(
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html

Post by The Researcher »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
The Researcher wrote:No I dont think I will want to become an immortal. It would be like exchanging many new exciting lives for an eternally long old one. Or in terms of books it would be like reading a very very long book instead of getting a chance to explore many more new titles and authors :eusa-think:
Thank you .your question gave food for thought.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:

Endless time time to read sounds pretty tempting... :) I would want to become immortal if my husband can too (and if my dog can too, that would be great!), so I would always have someone I love by my side.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

Hmmm ... do I have the option to change my mind if I say 'Yes' initially? Because immortality sounds really tempting when you're mortal ... but it might lose its attraction after several eons or so. :)
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I think this is an interesting question. Do I become an immortal like Logan/Wolverine where I still feel pain but am able to heal quickly and can't die at all? Or an immortal that can be killed or missing an arm, like Highlander (there can only be one!)? I think many immortals are often represented in books and movies and on TV as having to constantly change their identity. Would I have to do that? All of this is exhausting.

On the other hand, if I can be free of illness and not worry about governments testing on me and just be openly immortal, it's pretty easy to do but emotionally it might be draining unless some of the people you love also get this deal. I would love to travel the cosmos and immortality is needed for that sort of thing but it's at a huge cost. I think if it was a deal where I could die in an explosion or burned up by a star, I might take it because there's still an out if I eventually did feel like I had spent the right amount of time living, but to live forever is an awfully long time.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

As already mentioned, there are the problems of changing identity to avoid detection and outlining your loved ones. I wouldn't want to be immortal But in pain. But I agree, as long as I could somehow die once I felt the time was right, I would not for the chance.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

I wouldn't want to live forever if it meant everyone I loved would die before me. It would also make meeting new people difficult because everyone, and everything, would eventually die and I would live on. And then there's the changing era's, styles, beliefs, politics. You could literally live through the downfall of your country, survive wars that destroyed everything you ever knew, or see your home culture die out. Personally, this would outweigh the pros and I wouldn't choose it given the chance.
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's an interesting thought for sure. No one likes to get older, but I don't want to see everyone I love die either. I think I'd have to pass on immortality.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The Researcher wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:
Thank you .your question gave food for thought.
You are Welcome. :)

-- 02 Feb 2017, 08:23 --
hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:

Endless time time to read sounds pretty tempting... :) I would want to become immortal if my husband can too (and if my dog can too, that would be great!), so I would always have someone I love by my side.
Yeah. Me too. I would want to become immortal only if some of my friends and family become too.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”