The Paintings

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

The Paintings

Post by Gravy »

Spoilers!

Do you think Diego's painting accurately depicts Henry? Do you think the painting says more about Henry, or Diego? What about Diego's paintings of himself? If someone were to paint you, what do you think they'd paint? Would different people paint you differently? Do you have anything, like Diego has his paintings, that you put yourself into?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I found the paintings a fantastic touch. I loved both Diego's self portrait and his painting of Henry. My portrait would show me with my family and a large pile of books.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think that Diego's painting accurately depicts Henry and that it reflect both guys.

My portrait would also include my family, books, and my kindle...
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think Diego's painting does depict Henry well. Like gali said, I think it reflects the thoughts and feelings of both boys.

If someone were to paint me, it would include my husband, dog, parents, siblings, Reese's peanut butter cups ( :lol: ), a notebook, a pen, books, and my kindle. I think others would paint me similarly because I rarely have something I withhold from others. I have been lucky to have grown up in a stable and healthy environment, so I don't have these dark and extremely sad moments in my life that would affect me in the way that it affected both Henry and Diego.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Mine would have to have an owl :shifty:
hsimone wrote:I think Diego's painting does depict Henry well. Like gali said, I think it reflects the thoughts and feelings of both boys.

If someone were to paint me, it would include my husband, dog, parents, siblings, Reese's peanut butter cups ( :lol: ), a notebook, a pen, books, and my kindle. I think others would paint me similarly because I rarely have something I withhold from others. I have been lucky ti have grown up in a stable and healthy environment, so I don't have these dark and extremely sad moments in my life that would affect me in the way that it affected both Henry and Diego.
Reese's peanut butter cups :lol2:

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote:Mine would have to have an owl :shifty:
hsimone wrote:I think Diego's painting does depict Henry well. Like gali said, I think it reflects the thoughts and feelings of both boys.

If someone were to paint me, it would include my husband, dog, parents, siblings, Reese's peanut butter cups ( :lol: ), a notebook, a pen, books, and my kindle. I think others would paint me similarly because I rarely have something I withhold from others. I have been lucky to have grown up in a stable and healthy environment, so I don't have these dark and extremely sad moments in my life that would affect me in the way that it affected both Henry and Diego.
Reese's peanut butter cups :lol2:
It's the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter. :lol:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I doubt I'd ever let anyone paint me... I'm not at ease with that level of scrutiny of my appearance.

But I've done portraits before... and each artist approaches the subject differently, so yes, if different artists painted the same person, each painting would be incredibly different, based on the artist's style, his training/education, his skill level, his mood, how well he knows his subject, etc. No two artists' work will ever be the same.
I suppose my work would be what I put most of myself into. I do artwork now and then too... and music will always be a major part of me.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I felt that Diego's painting accurately depicted Henry in what he saw of him and that it also represented Henry well. Henry apparently did not agree with the image, but maybe he realized there was more strength in him. I do feel that it says more about Diego than Henry in that Diego can read and understand others better than Henry. Diego's paintings to me seemed more focused on what his emotions were at the time. For example, the painting he created on the worst day of his life had darkness and death in it. If someone were to paint me, I honestly have no idea what it would look like. I am not very good at expressing my emotions and would have a difficult time painting myself. I can paint trees lol but not people. I do think people would paint me differently because I have those who I am extremely close to and those who I am semi close to.
Madison Degraffenreid
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Gravy wrote:Spoilers!

Do you think Diego's painting accurately depicts Henry? Do you think the painting says more about Henry, or Diego? What about Diego's paintings of himself? If someone were to paint you, what do you think they'd paint? Would different people paint you differently? Do you have anything, like Diego has his paintings, that you put yourself into?
I thought Diego's work was very introspective and heartbreaking. To imagine a child painting portraits of himself that including the flaying and shedding of skin or the ripping out of his heart shows deep-seated, soul-deep pain. His depiction of Henry was also interesting. Showing the inner rebar shows Henry's strength while the outer shell is crumbling. If someone were to paint me, it would depict the mask that gets put on to face the world while the inner person stays hidden. I do think that different people would paint me differently. The beauty of wearing a mask is that you can change what you want others to see. Being genuine carries the risks of heartbreak, ridicule, nonacceptance, and criticism. We are genuine with the people we trust. Marcus wore many masks in the story. I think many people wear their public mask but let few people see what lies beneath.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I think mine would have a multitude of different animals. I'm an animal lover, through and through. Books and music, something representative of my creative side. And something representing those closest to me.
Myself, I think my face would be hidden, or mostly so. I also think it would be fitting for me to be stitched together like Sally in The Nightmare Before Christmas :lol:

AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Erik wrote:I doubt I'd ever let anyone paint me... I'm not at ease with that level of scrutiny of my appearance.

But I've done portraits before... and each artist approaches the subject differently, so yes, if different artists painted the same person, each painting would be incredibly different, based on the artist's style, his training/education, his skill level, his mood, how well he knows his subject, etc. No two artists' work will ever be the same.
I suppose my work would be what I put most of myself into. I do artwork now and then too... and music will always be a major part of me.
You've a very interesting point - No two artists' work will ever be the same. Something to think about!
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Erik wrote:I doubt I'd ever let anyone paint me... I'm not at ease with that level of scrutiny of my appearance.

Cool beans, another artist :tiphat: Someone has made a concrete bust of me in 2012, our first year of our Fine Art course, and I'm not sure what I think about it. It scares burglars, I suppose, because it's kind of raw. I've also done enough self-portraits to be utterly sick of my own face to this day. Nobody would find me inspiring enough to do a portrait of me, and it's not easy to come up with a depiction that isn't a kitsch cliche, so I'd say they'd have to know me well enough to represent me by my attributes, not with a painting/drawing of my face. I might do this myself if I need something for an exhibition. So yes, that's my real work, fine art.

Visual art isn't an easy medium to translate into writing as art, but if done masterfully, the image can migrate from the picture surface to letters (also visual symbols) which create words, which ultimately create meaning, and it is in that successful migration that we follow the image from one medium to another. Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye had done this extraordinarily well. I could only see the sample of We Are the Ants, but the inclusion of art as a marker of that time of life is authentic and has me recall myself as a jaded teenager at our art classes at school.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

It would be neat to have a bust made of me, but I don't know if I would like it.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

James Craft wrote:It would be neat to have a bust made of me, but I don't know if I would like it.
I think one would tolerate it if the person making it has a real talent for sculpture, otherwise no. And concrete isn't a flattering medium, to be honest.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I put myself into my reviews because when I book transports you inside it's context it becomes a piece of you. I think it tells more about the artist how they translate the person. I think each person I know would draw me a little differently because I don't open up very easily so each person I know only sees a small part of me that I want them to see.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”