Overall Rating and Opinion of "We are the ants"

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating and Opinion of "We are the ants"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the January 2017 Book of the Month,"We are the ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson.

What is your overall opinion of "We are the ants"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the the book's page on Bookshelves.

-- January 2nd, 2017, 9:21 pm --

I have read it a few months ago and loved it. It was my first GLBT and I am impressed. The story was engaging, the characters believable, and the great pace of the plot kept me turning the pages. It dealt with some heavy topics like depression, Alzheimers, suicide, bullying, but in a light way. I thought the alien abduction concept was brilliant and added to the story. The book is heartbreaking and powerful, and it certainly makes you stop and think about life. I rated it 4 stars out of 4 and recommend it of course.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

You said it very well :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

You make it sound great!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I also have to give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I thought that the author handled a lot of serious topics in a sensitive manor. He touched on suicide, Alzheimer's, abandonment, bullying and many lgbt issues. He explored survivor guilt in a genuine way. He also touched on the concept of an acknowledged gay having a relationship with someone who is still in the closet.

In the realistic sections the book brought tears to my eyes. These sections were aimed at young adults and still appealed to older readers. However, I don't feel that the science fiction sections were written as well. The alien descriptions seemed rather amateurish. I also didn't care for the dates in the diary titles. I personally feel that if fictional world wide events are dated in the reader's past, it takes away from the story. I wish that the author had left off the year in these titles.

Despite these few minor gripes, this is still a 4 star book.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just finished reading it, and I also am giving it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. Gali, you were right on how the author did a nice job in dealing with the heavy topics, and how the book makes you think about life. The plot just consumed my every thought as I read and it was so hard to put down.

I've read a few books that have included a gay couple, but this is the first one that I felt the author dealt with the relationship(s) naturally and extremely well. This was absolutely a great choice of BOTM!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think I have to rate this 3 out of 4 stars. I'd heard a lot of good things about this book so I was really expecting a lot out of it. It just didn't live up to the hype for me. I think it was a bit overwritten and tended to repeat itself.

One of my favorite relationships was actually between Henry and Marcus because it really showed the reader just how much Henry is struggling. He is coping with Jesse's death by staying in an abusive relationship because that's what he thinks he deserves. For me, his interaction with Marcus offered more insight into Henry's feelings than any other aspect of the book.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I enjoyed this book and all the heavy topics it focused on. Although the ending left me with so many questions I have to give it a 4 out 4 stars. My favorite relationship in the book was between Henry and his Nana. He did so many amazing things toward the end to help her find her memories again. It was so sweet and sad at the same time. I was also extremely happy that Henry finally acted on his feelings for Diego.
Madison Degraffenreid
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I enjoyed the book. I didn't like how it ended only because I want more. I rate it 4 out of 4
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the scientific world ending scenarios and the relationships that Henry formed over the course of the story. To see Charlie mature was interesting. I had hope for Marcus for a while but his drug and alcohol abuse and other insecurities caused him to spin out of control. I loved Diego. His genuine zest for life was refreshing in an otherwise heart-wrenching tale. I thought that Hutchinson did a great job with the many complex issues that were addressed in the story. Overall, a great read!!
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I rated this a 4 out of 4. As others have said, the heavy topics were handled really well and sensitively. I really enjoyed the progression of Henry's character from start to finish. Also, I think the book showed that even if life feels like it's terrible, it can get better with some effort and sometimes it's okay to seek help from other people.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I completely agree. I really liked the LGBT aspect as well because I haven't read many books like that. Usually characters that are LGBTQ are side characters or minor ones in the background. I definitely liked the themes of this book. It was very emotional at times and I actually found myself tearing up sometimes. I give kudos to authors who can make people really feel while reading.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I very much enjoyed reading this book and read it long before it was chose as BOTM. As most YA books do, this one did touch on several heavy topics others have posted about but, in a new way that did not seem like "teen problems" but issues we could all deal with. I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars and after reading all the above comments, have to agree with all the positive feedback about We Are the Ants.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Harsh99
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh99.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Harsh99 »

peprica21 wrote: I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars and after reading all the above comments, have to agree with all the positive feedback about We Are the Ants.
I can't find anything negative about it either. I usually read sci-fi but I'm thinking about reading this book. Can anyone give a reason for *not reading* it?
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is well written and and the book is worth reading. :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by NhkeiraT »

I've always been wanting to read this book. After reading all the reviews, it just makes the story more compelling.

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”