Would you want to be a vampire?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Re: Would you want to be a vampire?

Post by Bandersnatch »

Maybe if there were someone to share it with. A loved one who is a vampire, and thus immortal, as well. Otherwise you would just spend eternity watching everyone around you die.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
comeunsanto
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comeunsanto.html

Post by comeunsanto »

I don't think I would want to be a vampire. Depending on whose definition of vampire you use there are way too many restrictions.
TrebledLiberace
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trebledliberace.html

Post by TrebledLiberace »

I think I would like to be a vampire. Only because I want to experience everything. Yes there are downsides to it, like watching those around you die, but there are positives too. I would be able to study everything, read everything, go everywhere. Meet so many people. The list can go on forever but all in all I would not mind being a vampire.
Michaela R
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaela-r.html

Post by Michaela R »

I would not want to be a vampire as I don't like the thought of needing to drink blood to survive and I would think that I would grow weary of immortality and there would be pain from watching people I love pass away :(
JJones123
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjones123.html

Post by JJones123 »

No, I like being out in the day time, plus the thought of having to kill people just to survive is sickening to me.
Bloody_Pandorica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bloody-pandorica.html

Post by Bloody_Pandorica »

I would not want to be a vampire. Though it has seemed like an attractive idea before, I would not deal well with leaving my loved ones behind. I am a person who feels everything very deeply and in feeling the death of all those I care for and knowing that I will outlive them I do not think I would ever be able to be truly happy.
Suzieadong
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzieadong.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Suzieadong »

No I wouldn't dream of it. It raises the hairs on my skin.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Lysindra

Post by Lysindra »

I would love to be immortal... A lifetime is not enough to experience all the cool stuff!! But not at the cost to kill others. So, no thanks, being a vampire is not an option I would choose.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

No way. The only thing remotely attractive about immortality would be a body that is perpetually healthy and ageless - given that I was born with disabilities, deal with chronic pain, and everything gets worse as I age, that's rather appealing... but it comes at far too high a cost.
I'd hate to have to murder to survive. Even if I confined myself to taking out only criminals, I could not kid myself that I was anything more than a parasite on society. There's nothing noble about murder.
I'd also hate to be continually seeing people I have come to care about wither and die while I remained young-looking and healthy. That's the thing that I believe would eventually do in my sanity. And no one needs an insane vampire running about.

No, I think that if I suddenly woke to find myself a member of the undead, I'd run chest-first at a garlic dip-tipped wooden stake.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I would never want to be a vampire, despite my deep fascination with the vast varieties of portrayals of the creatures. While the drinking of blood strikes me as intimate and the supernatural powers would rock, the fact that you are a sort of animated corpse is kind of awkward and the deep connections to death would be no way to live. So no, I would not like to be a vampire...but I might consider dating one for a short time. :shhh:
Peabodie1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peabodie1.html

Post by Peabodie1 »

No, I would not want to become a vampire because it is a life of uncertainty. Draining someone of their blood in today's society is reckless, dangerous and vile. The exchange of blood between the normal person and the vampire seems outlandish detrimental to the mind, body, soul and spirit. The human face has to transform and inner beauty is an important attribute of the human race. There are many drawbacks to becoming a vampire and none of them peak my interest.
sherriska--22
Currently Reading: Maniac Magee[ MANIAC MAGEE ] By Spinelli, Jerry
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherriska-22.html

Post by sherriska--22 »

Nope.
The Twilight series books 3 and 4 killed any thoughts of that ever happening...

Seriously, the thought of having to drink warm blood skeeves me out. I can't even handle a heavy nosebleed...
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

The idea of being immortal is very appealing (more time to read books, watch movies and play videogames, as well as have more time to study all the things I'm interested in), but ultimately just seems exhausting (if you have an unlimited amount of time, it's easier to justify procrastination. I can see myself procrastinating a certain task for a couple hundred years, which isn't very productive. The whole point of immortality for me would be productivity, so... yeah), so being a vampire probably isn't for me.
HeatherSanders
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersanders.html

Post by HeatherSanders »

The idea of being immortal is kind of nice. I mean I like the idea that I can move around from place to place and start over and be anything or everything that I want.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Looking through the replies, I have noticed that most everyone is leaning towards not wanting to be a vampire if given the chance. I would have to agree with this. First off, I would have ethical issues with drinking the blood of people. I am vegan, I won't even eat meat, drink milk, or go to a circus, let alone drain the blood out of innocent people!

Outside of the ethics issue, I would have a very difficult time wrapping my mind around being immortal and having to deal with the loss of my loved ones who are not immortal. I have no desire to live forever; I have a desire to live my life to the fullest while being the best person I can be, leaving behind a positive impact, rather than leaving behind a trail of bodies.

However, I will have to admit that being a vampire would have a few perks, depending on which description of vampire we are going with. Having powers and super-human abilities would be fun and useful.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”