What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
harleyqgrayson
Currently Reading: The Original Folk & Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyqgrayson.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by harleyqgrayson »

At first, I was kind of weary of this book. But once I started reading it, I got into the book. I found the characters to be strong. I am not crazy about vampires novels. The reason why I read it is because of the fantasy feel of it.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I don't particularly like vampires. As a teenage, I have only really been exposed to the "Twilight" style. I think they are too romanticized. I can't read other vampire stories because I can't get past the idea of the romanticized vampires.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Mune wrote:Vampires are one factor of many that will be used again and again. I see it as another color on a writer's palette. You have war, murder, vampires, witches, love triangles, government conspiracies, shape shifters, murderers, dragons, animals, and on and on. The stickler is how you use the color.

I love a good vampire book. My first was Bram Stoker's Dracula followed by Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I have read the Twilight series, the Marked series, Blue Bloods, Vampire Academy, Anita Blake series, the Shadow Hunter series, the Dark Hunter series, and on and on. Stand-alones and series, YA and adult, romance and horror. My favorite are the books that are either highly traditional and based on old mythology or something with a modern twist. I really enjoy anything that explains vampirism in scientific terms (Shadow of the Night).

If done right, and not copying a storyline from the plethora of vampire books on the market, a vampire story is just as good as any other story with the components I enjoy.

Great vampire stories are always great.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

I love them. Fell in love with Dracula at a young age. Anne Rice's books were excellent. Liked the turn Stphenie Meyer took it in Twilight. Discovered The Shade of Vampire series by Bella Forrest last year and have enjoyed all 39 books , True Blood read them all thumbs up to Charlaine Harris.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Book Devotee
Currently Reading: dance of the gods
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-devotee.html

Post by Book Devotee »

I think vampire stories will always be a classic and never be old or redundant. There are many ways that an author can take a vampire story. I myself enjoy Christine Feehan's approach to vampires, along with Kerri Arthurs approach to vampires.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The vampire stories certainly are interesting and different from other topics. I have read the twilight series and i loved it very much.
I have also read all the books in the Vampire of Athens Series by Eva Pohler and i did not stop until i have read them all.The vampire topics make an intriguing plot.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

I think that stories about vampires have become old. There was a time where they were fascinating to me but after the hype of the Twilight series I feel vampire stories were ruined for me. There is only so much that can be written before the topic becomes old.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Absolutely love fanged foe stories..
Vampire in the computer is an obscure book that I believe couldn't even be published on its own. (see amazon and other outlets). But it was creepy as heck.

Buffy is of course much loved for many reasons.
The many versions of dracula also usually are compelling.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I think vampire-themed stories are overdone at this point. Personally, I'm taking a break from this genre, but not completely closing my doors on it. If I find one that's really good, I'll probably jump right into it.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I love vampire stories!! I am a huge fan of fantasy and vampires seem like the top fantasy creature. Vampire stories can be redundant due to the thoughts about them like being immortal, allergic to sun, drinks blood, etc. but there have been authors that have strayed away from these stereotypical thoughts. Many teen reads on vampires seem to stray away from the basic idea of vampires, like The Vampire Academy novels by Rachel Mead. These have both good and bad vampires along with rich and protectors. This series has multiple types of vampires but also includes the stereotypical ones who are evil. So overall I do like vampire stories and there are books out there that stray from what society views as normal vampire behavior.
ezramoon
Currently Reading: Introducing Eastern Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezramoon.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00O2CKQPQ

Post by ezramoon »

Oh man, I love Vampire stories. I've read countless books and comics that have them in them.

Twilight (obviously), people got really snarky about the sparkly vampires, but I thought it was a great way of dealing with the sunlight.

The Vampire Chronicles, ahhh my high school obsession. I fancied myself so cool and alternative for loving these books. Anne Rice was absolutely brilliant at writing an intricate history of the Vampire race.

I read the Night Prince series last year and I have to say, they're one of my new favourite series where vampires are concerned.

But number one for me? THE BEST Vampire lore I've ever encountered? J.R. Ward. Oh my word that woman had me obsessed with her books for around two months straight. I was reading every single day, I couldn't put them down. There are different rules for male and female vampires and it has some of the most original lore I've ever read for Vamps.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

hsimone wrote:Nightlord: Sunset has taken a new look and twist on vampires.

What are your thoughts about vampire stories? Are they old and redundant? Or are there other angles that authors can take these timeless creatures?

Have you read vampire book(s) that you thought of as unique and/or refreshing? Can you share?
I am scared of vampires. I am scared of exposure to blood mostly. But then I won't say that forever. Life takes you through various phases, and one has to be ready to face whatever the life brings up :-)
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I usually believe that vampire stories fall at either end of the spectrum. They are either too childish or too intense. Lately however, i have found some of them that reach the middle ground and I find those stories quite enjoyable.
Liawela
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liawela.html

Post by Liawela »

Personally as a writer I think they are exquisite and refreshing! I really love extraordinary ideas in stories, because always writing things that we are always going through sucks at times. I have to read a lot of them and really enjoyed them. I've enjoyed writing them too.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I think that in some ways they are old, but the same can be said for sports, billionaires and MC story lines. I cut down on the redundancy by reading a different genre every time I finish a book.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”