Have you started the book?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Have you started the book?

Post by gali »

Have you started the book? How did you like the beginning? I started it this week and like it so far. The opening lines drew me in immediately. It started out a bit slow, but it certainly had me intrigued. I thought the way Eric finds out he is a vampire very original. Imagine waking up with a hangover and finding out you have fangs! I thought Eric dealt with it pretty well, consideringly.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Good question! I have started (and almost done). I liked the way it started and I also like the way Eric found out he was a vampire. Unfortunately, I will say that my interest level has been petering for a while now as I finish up the book. I won't spoil much for those who haven't gotten far, but I feel the amount that is going on, the book has lost some of its focus.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Good question! I have started (and almost done). I liked the way it started and I also like the way Eric found out he was a vampire. Unfortunately, I will say that my interest level has been petering for a while now as I finish up the book. I won't spoil much for those who haven't gotten far, but I feel the amount that is going on, the book has lost some of its focus.
You are fast! Too bad about your losing interest. So far I enjoy the book and I hope it will keep my interest the further I read.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:Good question! I have started (and almost done). I liked the way it started and I also like the way Eric found out he was a vampire. Unfortunately, I will say that my interest level has been petering for a while now as I finish up the book. I won't spoil much for those who haven't gotten far, but I feel the amount that is going on, the book has lost some of its focus.
You are fast! Too bad about your losing interest. So far I enjoy the book and I hope it will keep my interest the further I read.
:lol: I started a while ago. It is too bad, but I know there are definitely plenty of people that have enjoyed this read, so I may be one of the few. :oops:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

I am reading it and am about the half way point. Really like it and I have not lost interest yet. I like how the author builds the characters as they are introduced...and keeps some in mystery. I really can't wait to see where it goes next. Love the weaving of different cultures, religions, worlds, beliefs and ethics. I know I can't say it enough, I like a vampire with ethics.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

littlefrog wrote:I am reading it and am about the half way point. Really like it and I have not lost interest yet. I like how the author builds the characters as they are introduced...and keeps some in mystery. I really can't wait to see where it goes next. Love the weaving of different cultures, religions, worlds, beliefs and ethics. I know I can't say it enough, I like a vampire with ethics.
I have started the book and am about at the midpoint. I agree with you about the blending of different cultures, religions, and mythologies. Eric is cynical in some ways and his sense of humor comes out in the story. I appreciate a good chuckle now and again as I read. I love the line, "I would have to be an ethical blood-sicking fiend of darkness." I am also enjoying the descriptiveness of the magical spells and Eric's work as a wizard.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
littlefrog wrote:I am reading it and am about the half way point. Really like it and I have not lost interest yet. I like how the author builds the characters as they are introduced...and keeps some in mystery. I really can't wait to see where it goes next. Love the weaving of different cultures, religions, worlds, beliefs and ethics. I know I can't say it enough, I like a vampire with ethics.
I have started the book and am about at the midpoint. I agree with you about the blending of different cultures, religions, and mythologies. Eric is cynical in some ways and his sense of humor comes out in the story. I appreciate a good chuckle now and again as I read. I love the line, "I would have to be an ethical blood-sicking fiend of darkness." I am also enjoying the descriptiveness of the magical spells and Eric's work as a wizard.
I agree I am enjoying the magic. A winter storm in June. How dare he tamper with the weather :lol:

-- 03 Dec 2016, 00:22 --

I have started read the book I am still in beginning of the book. Its a long book, but I am enjoying it very much. To bad work is the only time I get to read right now.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I am 3% in according to my app. Right now I'm having trouble sinking into the story and I can't place the reasons. I have it narrowed down to: point of view, the chosen vampire myth, Sasha, or my physical comfort level (chairs at work aren't comfy).

POV and chosen myth will probably smooth themselves out as I have the opportunity to read more and I'll figure out if I like them or not. Right now Sasha is very two dimensional and I'm struggling with her single minded loyalty. I'm doing my best to not read with modern gender expectations but she still seems extreme in terms of her submissiveness. I'm hoping to find time to read at home to adjust the physical comfort issue but I usually have the most time to read at work.
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by ramblinggnomes »

I just started this morning, I'm about four chapters in.
I like what I've read so far. I love the way he's putting the pieces together and I love his friend's very scientific approach. It is a refreshing take on the genre and I hope it keeps it up.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

I agree. I am about 40% of the way through, and am losing interest. Just too much going on. Too many things that Eric has to stop and explain. 'losing focus' is a great way of saying it.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

rovet wrote:
I agree. I am about 40% of the way through, and am losing interest. Just too much going on. Too many things that Eric has to stop and explain. 'losing focus' is a great way of saying it.
Thank you for agreeing. Sometimes, when I read how much others really loved the book, I question 'am I the weird one?' It's nice to know that there are others who don't quite 'love' the read. I agree, there are too many things going on, and then Eric has to explain it all. If the book was more concise, then it could have been a really enjoyable one for me because I generally love fantasy (including vampire) reads. However, I ended up finishing it, and I can't say that enjoyed many aspects of the read.
Heidi

Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Diving doc »

I cheated and downloaded the sample first, which I liked, but not enough to buy the book and actually read it all the way through.

The sample was surprisingly long, and could almost have been a book in its own right. I found the vast riches Sasha has stored to be infuriating. I realise a vampire story. Was never going to be 100% real life, but this takes its at enough away to lose my interest.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

I really enjoyed the beginning. Eric has a lighthearted personality and takes a new approach to "waking up a vampire". It was interesting to see how he coped with the situation and adapted.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

According to my kindle, I've read 60% of it. I was really enjoying it but it's been a bit slower at the midpoint. Going to keep plugging along and hopefully enter the discussions by early next week.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
rovet wrote:
Thank you for agreeing. Sometimes, when I read how much others really loved the book, I question 'am I the weird one?' It's nice to know that there are others who don't quite 'love' the read. I agree, there are too many things going on, and then Eric has to explain it all. If the book was more concise, then it could have been a really enjoyable one for me because I generally love fantasy (including vampire) reads. However, I ended up finishing it, and I can't say that enjoyed many aspects of the read.
I agree with you now. I liked the beginning, but now I am starting to lose interest. I decided to quit the book, as I find it hard to become engaged in the tale.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”