Review by Cheshire_wolf -- My Author Is Dead

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Review by Cheshire_wolf -- My Author Is Dead

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Author Is Dead is by far one of the best books I've read since the beginning of the new year. Although I enjoyed Nanomorphosis on another level, Michel Bruneau takes the grand prize of being my first official paperback novel for 2019. To say the least, the beginning prologue was unexpectedly, unexpected. As for all the other pages thereafter that followed I was pleasantly shocked. It has been years since I've come across a book without chapter numbers and just titles, and I'm talking around 15 years or more not a few here.

Adam is an Authorian in love with another faction that believes in the author another way, called the Kafkasits. To the Authorians the Kafkasits are less than animals, they are cockroaches. So how could loving this one person turn this young man's world upside down? Well if you have a Cassaundra, and a Small Visionary then you have those means. Jump into this dystopian world where the author is God, Visionaries are prophets, Illiterantes are atheists, and so much more you'll figure out along the way.

What I wholeheartedly loved about this novel was that throughout the story Adam was putting in dictionary definitions as he understood them in quirky twists as to give us a funny look into what this 15-year-old boy thought on such matters as they were happening. One such quote was
[Pa·tron. Noun. Social or financial psychopath who expects the world on a platter in grateful return for having shown up—or for having bought a beer].
One of my other favorites was
“No. We hate clocks. We don’t believe in clocks, and we don’t believe in time. No device can take the freedom of a day and chain it to a machine. No gadget can dictate to us when things are supposed to be done or when pauses should be taken. It’s false magic. We will never slave ourselves to a machine for the purpose of making its prophecies come true.
It is true we are slaves to time. There are many more that will have you laughing and crying throughout the story. Trust me.

What I disliked about the novel was a more personal humorous note for me. Because the book had no chapter numbers only titles it is impossible to tell how far into the story you are. Which is both incredibly hilarious and somewhat inconvenient, it was the one thing that was making the novel hard to read. The lack of knowing what chapter you are on at first was a wonderful surprise, but now it almost seemed to make the story endless. Stretching on and on. To ease my mind and to give me a concept of time, I counted the titles starting after the prologue. There are 42 chapters (or) titles after the prologue. The point in the story where I had to know such a question, was when I was at the beginning of chapter 13. I wonder what chapter will it be on when you get that itch to find out where you are in the story? :lol:

I give this book an applauding 4 out of 4 stars and a high recommendation to fans of the movies "Stranger than fiction", "Matrix" and ''Brother Bear", because My Author Is Dead has elements from all three that I'm sure true fans will recognize immediately. You may even find more book and movie references than I did. There are errors in the kindle version, from another review I saw that listed on the comments, and I can confirm that it's true. However, like me, I'm sure you will hardly notice them. Great book! I look forward to reading his other works.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Cheshire_wolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a challenging but fun book and well worth a read. Great review!
Cheshire_wolf

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 01:57 This sounds like a challenging but fun book and well worth a read. Great review!

Thank you, and it really is indeed an amazing story. Hope you will like it as much as I did. :D
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This sounds like fun book. It's different from a lot of what I read but I might just have to check it out.
Cheshire_wolf

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

Delaney35 wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 07:00 This sounds like fun book. It's different from a lot of what I read but I might just have to check it out.
You definitely should! It's packed with a lot of humor and a very unique way of looking at religion through the terms of literary words. Plus the dystopian aspect of it is amazing. I really hope you do check it out.
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh, I like this. It sounds like absolute fun. I'm wondering if the author was going for a star-crossed lovers sort of thing because it sounds like it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”