Review by sarahmarlowe -- Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by sarahmarlowe -- Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Third Chances" by Dan Petrosini.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Third Chances: A Luca Mystery is Book 4 in the Luca series by Dan Petrosini. This book is a fast-paced serial killer drama with an intriguing plot and a likable main character.

Experienced detective Frank Luca works homicides in South Florida. He has just begun dating his partner, Detective Mary Ann Vargas, and they are trying to achieve an appropriate balance between their work and personal lives. During the heat of summer, a serial killer begins leaving dead bodies in the canals and lakes that dot the inland towns not far from the Gulf of Mexico. Luca and Vargas are under pressure from their bosses, the public, and themselves to resolve the key questions that will stop the murders. Why are these victims targeted? Is the killer one person or a couple? Why are all of the victims connected to the same church? When will the next victim turn up?

I genuinely enjoyed reading Third Chances. It was a quick, clever read, and I finished it in a couple of short sittings. Even though it is part of a series, it is a stand-alone novel, and I wasn’t lost because I have not read the other three previous books. The main characters are easy to connect with. Luca is recovering from cancer, so he’s not on top of his game like he used to be. His chemo-affected brain is keeping him from processing things as quickly as he should, and he is having to get used to Vargas out-thinking him. She is likable and principled, and as a professional, she puts up with some things she doesn’t need to. There is some adult language, but no sexual situations, and relatively little violence considering it’s a story about a serial killer.

The novel could use some editing help. Most of the errors concerned dangling modifiers and sentences that needed to be capitalized. Additionally, there were several random words in a larger font throughout the book, so formatting needs to be addressed, as well.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. As much as I enjoyed it, there are too many editing issues to assign a perfect 4-star rating. I am giving 3 stars instead of 2 because I do recommend it. I flew through the book, not wanting to put it down. I suggest Third Chances to readers who enjoy light mysteries and crime novels of any sort. However, people who are looking for something dark should skip this one, as it focuses on the crimes and crime solving, not on graphic or sadistic scenes.

Third Chances
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. If I'm going to read a thriller/mystery, I want it to be one that I can't put down, and it sounds like this fits the bill.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Love a good serial killer book! Thanks for the clear review. :) Hope they can eventually fix some of the editing / formatting stuff.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

unamilagra wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 23:01 Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. If I'm going to read a thriller/mystery, I want it to be one that I can't put down, and it sounds like this fits the bill.
Yes! If you decide to pick this one up, I think you will like it. Thanks for stopping by! :reading-3:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 23:19 Love a good serial killer book! Thanks for the clear review. :) Hope they can eventually fix some of the editing / formatting stuff.
Great! I think you would like this one, then. Thanks for stopping by! :D :D
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”