Review by Cheshire_wolf -- Changing Masks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Review by Cheshire_wolf -- Changing Masks

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Changing Masks" by Nicholas Metelsky.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never in my 25 years have I come across a book that had such great potential, but overshot it so much that it made me cry in frustration. I was really looking forward to reading Chaning Masks, but as soon as I got to the second chapter I wanted to tear my hair out. I hated this book so much and I seriously hope the author re-writes it properly. Why? I’m getting to that part.

The story is about a man in his early thirties that is a Warlock in his world that suddenly gets transported to another parallel world into a child’s body. In this world set in a fudual like era in Tokyo he must fight for his place among young teenage heirs and heiresses, and to protect his secret that he is older and wiser than he looks, not to mention not from that world. In the day he juggles being a normal teenage boy but at night he has his priorities as a theif making a name for himself. Sounds like a legit story and the author Nicholas Metelsky really had me sold on it in the book summary.

I’ll first start off by what I liked about it. The prologue alone was absolutely amazing, i’ve never read one like it. It was such a pleasant surprise that I found myself chuckling in pleasure. Then I get to the story and my initial pleasure turns to utter confusion and pure frustration at both the author and the story. The prologue preps your mind for the launch into the other realm, but when you get to the very first chapter of the story your mind screams out in confusion. Between an amazing start and then a complete mind f*ck tumble of a mess, your thrown into a chaotic world of questions. It took me more than once to read the very first page. Just to wrap my mind around where the author was at, and where he wanted our minds to settle down to.

First off the author should have wrote more of a story before the actually story. He needed to clearly state where things were at, by the time you read the prologue and were ready for the first chapter. Your reading the first chapter and the entire time its like your missing something big, so big that you keep reading in the hopes it gets cleared up. It doesn’t. In fact it gets worse. When you come to the first flashback you don’t even know it is one. Once you figure it out, by reading the dang page several times, the author gives you a teasing hint of the past world that the main character is from, but does not go into any detail what so ever. So your stuck with the knowledge that the man is already in the next world in his new body, and that there is an insane part of the story missing from the get go. When the author begins to throw in terms and words like you know what they are, and then rambles through them, your thinking okay hopefully he will describe all this later on right? Nope wrong again. Between all that and the fact you can’t tell who is talking to who most of the time, and the main characters inner thoughts to his outer thoughts are so intertwined it doesn’t make sense, this entire book was a mess.

I give this story a 1 out of 4 stars. Truth be told I wouldn’t even give this book a rating, it was that bad. However like I mentioned it had potential. The author should have first wrote a few pages of terms and deffinitions, so that when you came across them in the story you knew what they were, what was going on, and could follow the story more smoothly. He should have also included more detail in his flashbacks, more about the past and what led up to his current position. Instead of rambling through it making us wonder when he was going to reveal anything. I think what made me read this to the very confusing end was the fact of that hidden potential and the questions that I hoped would be answered. Alas it ended as it began with utter confusion. This book could be so much better, but as is, it’s not worth the read at all.

Changing Masks
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cheshire_wolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I can feel your frustration through your review! I definitely won't be reading it then! Thanks for the review and saving me from the frustration it would have caused me! It's a pity though, as the book sounds very promising!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Cheshire_wolf

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

labibliofile wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 13:57 I can feel your frustration through your review! I definitely won't be reading it then! Thanks for the review and saving me from the frustration it would have caused me! It's a pity though, as the book sounds very promising!
Your welcome, thanks for reading. The sad thing is the book is VERY promising. Its just it needs to be re-written. I honestly hope the author will eventually do so in the future.
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I reviewed such a book and i was also frustrating but i guess my frustration and confusion was nothing compared to you. Unlike you i won't want to give it a try😀😁
Thanks a lot for a very honest review. You have possibly saved many of us from the frustration 😊😀
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh dear, it sounds like a complete mess. Well done for getting through it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book is advertised as the number one sci-fi adventure book for young adults in Russia. I wonder if it was originally in Russian, and the translation messed things up. If so, Shinji must be very unhappy.
Cheshire_wolf

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 09:41 This book is advertised as the number one sci-fi adventure book for young adults in Russia. I wonder if it was originally in Russian, and the translation messed things up. If so, Shinji must be very unhappy.
I saw that when I reviewed it. However it's not a translation issue, the author did a great job on that part. It was purely context or lack of which I explained above. The book has amazing potential and there is no doubt in my mind it will be the number one young adult sci-fi book however it would need to be re-written. I look forward to the day when he does.
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Thank you for going through the pain, so we won't have to! This sounds like one I would do well to steer clear of.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Yikes, thanks for the review. Looks like a promising book screwed up by faulty writing. Thanks for the heads up.
"No way but forward!"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

It's always disappointing when a promising book is let down through bad writing. Thanks for the thorough and honest review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Never in my 25 years have I come across a book that had such great potential, but overshot it so much that it made me cry in frustration. I was really looking forward to reading Changing Masks, but as soon as I got to the second chapter I wanted to tear my hair out.
THIS SAYS A LOT. Great potential with execution so bad you want to cry is the WORST. It sounds like this author has a bunch of stuff in his head on this one that didn't make it down on paper. I've been finding books tend to have the opposite problem (too much of what's in the author's head is on paper/it needs a little more cutting down), but I think I prefer that to this.

Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”