Review by linham02660 -- Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by linham02660 -- Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by linham02660 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Betrayal in Blue" by Mark M. Bello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayal In Blue (The Zachary Blake Betrayal Series Book 3) written by Mark M. Bello is a crime drama about Jack Dylan, a captain in the Dearborn, Michigan police department. He is also commander of the new anti-terrorism task force. Jack and his team pick up chatter on the dark web about a Sarin gas threat against the local police force and a Muslim mosque in their area. Thinking this is linked to a former attempt made by a known white supremacy group, he sets out with his dedicated team to prevent the imminent attack before it happens. Little did he know he would end up defending himself in court on murder in the 2nd degree. This book stands alone and you do not have to read the first two to enjoy it.

I liked how the author flipped the tables on Jack. He starts out chasing down the criminal and ends up being the accused. His team, which consists of Shaheed, Noah and Andy. As well as his lawyer Zachary, begin the race against time to prove Jack innocent. I also enjoyed the way the author highlights the constant clashing between the FBI, local police and the defense team. This part of the book is very believable. All the funny one-liner jokes the author put in the book was also something I found entertaining. I found myself laughing often because of them. It made a great compliment to all the serious action going on. The author does a wonderful job carefully describing the scenes. Mr. Bello clearly has done research on forensics and police procedures before writing this book. The trial is riveting and well written. The climactic ending is a definite cliffhanger with a twist.

I did not like the deliberate way the author used current politics to push the story. I do not think it is relevant for this book to be good. It only speaks to the political views of the author and was unnecessary. I believe by doing this the author will instantly turn off readers with opposite political views. Possibly losing them as a dedicated audience.

Betrayal In Blue is an awesome read. It will not disappoint the reader. The characters have good depth and are very easy to relate to. I earnestly recommend it to anybody that likes crime novels, complex drama, incredible action or legal thrillers. Because of the violent nature of the book, I would not recommend it to younger readers.

I was completely engaged all the way through and did not want to put the book down. The book was well edited. I did not find any errors. Because of the great storyline and how well the book was written, I rate this book a 4 out of 4.

Betrayal in Blue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like linham02660's review? Post a comment saying so!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

The fact that the author has researched forensics and the police procedures already speaks volumes about his dedication and the quality of work that he wants to portray! Also, action with humour is the perfect recipe for an enjoyable read!

Thank you for the great review!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Considering my last review, I can understand how misplaced an author's injection of their own political views can feel. If you still rated this one at 4/4, it sounds like a great read!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Thanks for this review. I actually rated book 2 of this series fairly low (2/4) because I had issues with the way the dialogue was written as well as other aspects, but I agree that his plots can be very exciting and therefore very fun to read. I am a little surprised though by how similar this sounds in terms of plot to book 2.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and glad you enjoyed it! :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love crime dramas. This sounds like a winner.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. This is a wonderful story to be read. It sounds enthralling to hear that the protagonist gets to a point of being the hunted from being the hunter. Too sad that the author's political opinion may indeed be a barrier to some enjoying the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

labibliofile wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 14:52 The fact that the author has researched forensics and the police procedures already speaks volumes about his dedication and the quality of work that he wants to portray! Also, action with humour is the perfect recipe for an enjoyable read!

Thank you for the great review!
I think he is a dedicated and diligent author. Thanks for commenting.
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

Zora C Penter wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 16:15 Considering my last review, I can understand how misplaced an author's injection of their own political views can feel. If you still rated this one at 4/4, it sounds like a great read!
I could not bring myself to lower the score on my review for such a subjective point. Thanks for commenting.
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 17:14 Thanks for this review. I actually rated book 2 of this series fairly low (2/4) because I had issues with the way the dialogue was written as well as other aspects, but I agree that his plots can be very exciting and therefore very fun to read. I am a little surprised though by how similar this sounds in terms of plot to book 2.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and glad you enjoyed it! :)
I have not read the former books, but I loved the plot in this one. Thanks for commenting.
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 12:14 I love crime dramas. This sounds like a winner.
Absolutely a great read. Thanks for commenting.
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

Kibetious wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 12:28 Thanks for the review. This is a wonderful story to be read. It sounds enthralling to hear that the protagonist gets to a point of being the hunted from being the hunter. Too sad that the author's political opinion may indeed be a barrier to some enjoying the book.
I agree and the book certainly would be fine without it. Thanks for commenting.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! Sounds like the author sort of botched the moral narrative. It's all fine and good to mention your politics if it's relevant in the narrative, but it's not that good if it's too ham-handed.
"No way but forward!"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like it's a little too political for me, so I'll pass. Great review, though!
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

kaymontacell wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 20:10 Thanks for the review! Sounds like the author sort of botched the moral narrative. It's all fine and good to mention your politics if it's relevant in the narrative, but it's not that good if it's too ham-handed.
I agree, but it was such a great read even if you disagree with his politics.
linham02660

Post by linham02660 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 15:48 Sounds like it's a little too political for me, so I'll pass. Great review, though!
Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”