Review by kdstrack -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War, by Greg Kater, is listed as historical fiction. Readers follow two Australian soldiers, Jamie and Jacko, from the Giza Pyramids of Egypt to the Pigeon Caves of Australia as they learn about their experiences in the Second World War.

The first interaction between Lieutenant James Munro and Corporal Jack O’Brien occurred in Syria. Jacko used his Warramunga sense of direction to kill a sniper and save Jamie’s life. They became close companions and continued to work together in Egypt and Australia. Their assignments involved breaking up a spy ring in Cairo and tracking war criminals in Australia. Their communications with the local police also led them to help the police in their search for a serial killer.

The friendship that developed between the two main characters reflected the camaraderie that is common among war buddies. Jamie and Jacko covered each other’s backs in the war and became true brothers for life when they participated in a Warramunga ceremony in Australia.

I liked the author’s use of strong female characters both in Egypt and in Australia. The women played a pivotal role in bringing down criminals and traitors. Once they arrived in Australia, Jacko’s sister, Sarah, demonstrated her superior tracking skills. She used her acute eyesight and well-developed powers of observation to help the tracking team.

The descriptions of the different locations were vivid and thoroughly researched. Readers learn interesting historical facts about Egypt and also about Warramunga tribal customs. The author speaks knowledgeably about the different types of weapons used in this war and about the types of transmitters used by spies. These descriptions heightened the historical aspect of the novel and added authenticity to the story.

I was hoping the book would have included a map of Australia. Since the title references the Warramunga tribe, it would have been helpful to be able to visualize the location of Tennant Creek and the Pigeon Caves. The cover picture of a kangaroo intrigues readers about the Warramunga tribe. Additional images of the tribal dress and the initiation ceremony would enhance the story and the title.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author has a gripping writing style that keeps your interest with his brilliant mix of historical facts and humor, mystery and suspense. I found very few errors, which made this a quick and easy read. People who do not enjoy war stories and historical fiction might want to pass on this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who studies history as this author brings a unique perspective to this world conflict. Historical fiction readers will learn and laugh as they read this book.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Great review! I’ve been one of the more complainy voices in the discussion topic on the women in this book (I would have liked them to be more there-dimensional), but at the same time I agree with your assessment here. It’s great that the women are there, in the book, and do important things.

I also agree a map or more visuals would have been good supplementary content.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 22:16 Great review! I’ve been one of the more complainy voices in the discussion topic on the women in this book (I would have liked them to be more there-dimensional), but at the same time I agree with your assessment here. It’s great that the women are there, in the book, and do important things.

Thanks you for you kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 22:22
BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 22:16 Great review! I’ve been one of the more complainy voices in the discussion topic on the women in this book (I would have liked them to be more there-dimensional), but at the same time I agree with your assessment here. It’s great that the women are there, in the book, and do important things.

Thanks you for you kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.
You’re welcome- it’s a really good review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

A good and very interesting review, it's just that the story of spies and snipers is normal, we have often read and watched in films.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Robby Chandra wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 09:03 A good and very interesting review, it's just that the story of spies and snipers is normal, we have often read and watched in films.
I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I read historical fiction from time to time, but that "serial killer" thing always makes me draw back from this book. Thanks for this review! (I never noticed the kangaroo in the cover until now.)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

inaramid wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 21:31 I read historical fiction from time to time, but that "serial killer" thing always makes me draw back from this book. Thanks for this review! (I never noticed the kangaroo in the cover until now.)
Thanks for your comments. It was an interesting read.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

To me, the highlight of the book is how it shows the women to play a key role in bringing down traitors. Another spy story I wouldn't mind reading next.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Samy Lax wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 23:16 To me, the highlight of the book is how it shows the women to play a key role in bringing down traitors. Another spy story I wouldn't mind reading next.

Great review!
Both Yvette and Sarah were fascinating characters. Hope you enjoy the book!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I've been absent from the BOTM forums for a while. I hope Jamie and Jacko will bring me back. I have been meaning to read this book and its sequel too.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 09:02 I've been absent from the BOTM forums for a while. I hope Jamie and Jacko will bring me back. I have been meaning to read this book and its sequel too.
Welcome back! Hope this book inspires you. Thanks for commenting.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I've read the sample of this book before, and I enjoyed Jamie and Jacko's meeting. I'm glad to see that their friendship develops because their characters really do jump off the page. Great suggestion for a map - hopefully the author considers it :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 15:32 I've read the sample of this book before, and I enjoyed Jamie and Jacko's meeting. I'm glad to see that their friendship develops because their characters really do jump off the page. Great suggestion for a map - hopefully the author considers it :)
Great review!
Thanks for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I am not a fan of a historical fiction and war stories, however I am interested in Jamie and Jacko's friendship. It seems enjoyable. Thanks for a nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”