Review by labibliofile -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by labibliofile -- Gringo

Post by labibliofile »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I checked the rating of Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan “Tito” Davis and Peter Conti online before I could read it, there were really good reviews which gave me high expectations. On the contrary, I did not like the book that much which is why I rate this book 2 out of 4.

The book follows the adventures of Dan; he made millions of dollars per week by finding the thin line between legal and illegal and sold a drug called the White Cross making millions of dollars from it. After serving some time in jail, he later got involved in weed. Further into the story, he was set up by a friend for a crime he did not do. Considering his background, past history and relation with the Republican Party no one bothered to investigate and merely believed his friend who framed him. Rather than proving his innocence he found an “easier” way out. He fled. He goes to various countries in the process, with the help of fake and stolen identities that he obtained with the help of his friends, constantly hoping that he does not get caught.

Eventually, he is tired of the constant running and escaping and wants to settle down at a place he can call home. Venezuela and America were not at the best terms then, so he figured that even if he did get caught, Venezuela would be the least likely among other countries to hand him over so he decides to settle there. He builds a successful business there – the El Yaque Club and made millions.

However, he was eventually caught and was sentenced to 120 months in prison.

I like that the book is realistic and shows his struggle through various identities and how he had a difficult time keeping up with the same. It reflects the irony of how we hope that when a person is released from jail, he does not get involved in something illegal again but at the same time it is nearly impossible to find a job for a person who has served time in prison which ultimately leads them to go back the same path even if initially they were willing to change. If I could, I would add half a point for that.

At one point in the story, he promises not to ever get involved in cocaine, but that does not stop him from getting involved in other drugs. He never learns from his mistakes and as much as he tries not to do something illegal, he ends up doing the same. It shows his greed for money, but again he wants to acquire it through hard work. He did not come from a well off family and they barely got by which motivates him to earn as much as he can.

Something that is bewildering is that whenever he initially meets any of his wives, it is always the same story, he falls in love, he marries them and then due to circumstances, they divorce or separate. He is seemingly in love with them but after he has divorced one, he never mentions or misses any of them after the divorce; there is not even a passing reference throughout the book of the wife once he has divorced her! When they were married, he is talking and thinking about his wife almost all the time, but once they separate or divorce, suddenly he forgets about their existence and falls in love again every time in a short span of time. Though that is not unusual, completely forgetting about their existence after divorce is, how is it humanely possible to not remember about the person who was a significant part of your life once they are no more physically present in your life. It is understandable if it was with one of them, but this is the pattern with all of the wives and is utterly baffling.

Even when one of his wives lost their baby when he was in jail he said and I quote “The poor kid. My poor wife.” Nothing that stated that he was sad about the death of his own child and all of a half a sentence that said “It destroyed me, not to be able to bury my son,” but again he was destroyed that he could not bury his son, not about the fact that his son was dead! He said that it was understandable that his wife went into a period of mourning but in no way did he feel any remorse, or if he did it was not communicated as it should be.

There is a very rare display of emotions and is just a retelling of the events as it happened and given that this is from the perspective of the one who went through it, it did not give me enough insight of how he felt, why he did certain things and what he actually thought of certain situations. The book is in a first point of view but in most parts is written as if it was from a third point of view, and by this I don’t mean the grammar but the way the story is relayed. This may be due to the fact that Peter has written Dan’s story but it still does not justify it if the story is written in first point of view.

The last few pages of the book were just an attempt to wind up the book; a very rushed up and abrupt end. I understand that a sequel is probably underway, but it practically felt like the last few chapters were replaced by the concluding chapter so that they could expand on the chapters and make a sequel from it.

Overall, the book does contain adventurous events and action that kept me turning pages to know what happens next. However, the actual prose and writing style was not one that allowed me to imagine and be completely immersed in the story.

The book has a decent plot but has many plot holes.

This book is recommended for people who like books in the genre of adventure and action and enjoy more from seeing rather than feeling.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like labibliofile's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Don't you hate it when everyone else rates a book highly and you don't like it? Drives me nuts!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You hit the nail on the head. I found Dan to be an absolutely dislikeable character. He showed zero remorse for anything, and I found him to be very selfish. I rated this one 1 out of 4, so you are not alone. :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Something that is bewildering is that whenever he initially meets any of his wives, it is always the same story, he falls in love, he marries them and then due to circumstances, they divorce or separate. He is seemingly in love with them but after he has divorced one, he never mentions or misses any of them after the divorce; there is not even a passing reference throughout the book of the wife once he has divorced her! When they were married, he is talking and thinking about his wife almost all the time, but once they separate or divorce, suddenly he forgets about their existence and falls in love again every time in a short span of time. Though that is not unusual, completely forgetting about their existence after divorce is, how is it humanely possible to not remember about the person who was a significant part of your life once they are no more physically present in your life. It is understandable if it was with one of them, but this is the pattern with all of the wives and is utterly baffling.
I am continually SHOCKED by how common this seems to be in books. It’s like wives are just window dressing to one’s life, not that different from a house. It’s more common with very unlovable characters like Dan of course, but I find undertones of it in so many stories.

I just submitted a review on a book everyone seemed to like. Part of me wanted to start the review with “I can’t beljeve you guys made me read this!” (Not that anyone made me, but word of moutv was just so good!) So I can commiserate with you a little.

Thanks for this very thoughtful review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

Bianka Walter wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 15:48 You hit the nail on the head. I found Dan to be an absolutely dislikeable character. He showed zero remorse for anything, and I found him to be very selfish. I rated this one 1 out of 4, so you are not alone. :)
Great review!
Glad to know I am not the only one! The reviews I read had placed the book in such high praise, that I was let down even more than I otherwise would have!

Thanks for stopping by!
"Growth is the essence of life."
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 15:17 Don't you hate it when everyone else rates a book highly and you don't like it? Drives me nuts!
It's extremely frustrating and I start to rethink whether I'm not seeing something that others are!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 19:33
I am continually SHOCKED by how common this seems to be in books. It’s like wives are just window dressing to one’s life, not that different from a house. It’s more common with very unlovable characters like Dan of course, but I find undertones of it in so many stories.

I just submitted a review on a book everyone seemed to like. Part of me wanted to start the review with “I can’t believe you guys made me read this!” (Not that anyone made me, but word of moutv was just so good!) So I can commiserate with you a little.

I completely agree with you! But I believe that there are more and more authors that are writing better female characters and I think that's a step in the right direction!

I think it would be funny if you actually would've started the review with that! Not that you could've but you get my point!

Thanks for stopping by! :)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I read the book and enjoyed every bit of the story, but it's interesting that you have a different view of the book. I like that you pointed out the aspects in the book that made you dislike the book. Awesome review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

labibliofile wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 02:19

I just submitted a review on a book everyone seemed to like. Part of me wanted to start the review with “I can’t believe you guys made me read this!” (Not that anyone made me, but word of moutv was just so good!) So I can commiserate with you a little.

I completely agree with you! But I believe that there are more and more authors that are writing better female characters and I think that's a step in the right direction!

I think it would be funny if you actually would've started the review with that! Not that you could've but you get my point!

YEEEEEES re: so many authors writing female characters better. I think it makes me even less patient though with books that don’t do it as well because now I’m spoiled. I’m like “really, THIS again, you’re KIDDING me, it’s twenty-freaking-nineteen.” (Even though some of the books I’m talking about were written maybe 5 years ago and the cultural dialogue has changed even since then.)

Hope I continue to see you around ! :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

Nerea wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 03:05 I read the book and enjoyed every bit of the story, but it's interesting that you have a different view of the book. I like that you pointed out the aspects in the book that made you dislike the book. Awesome review.
I think I would have definitely enjoyed the book more, but I constantly felt like there were some parts of the story that were skipped and I often found myself confused.

Thank you for reading and commenting!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 03:12
labibliofile wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 02:19

YEEEEEES re: so many authors writing female characters better. I think it makes me even less patient though with books that don’t do it as well because now I’m spoiled. I’m like “really, THIS again, you’re KIDDING me, it’s twenty-freaking-nineteen.” (Even though some of the books I’m talking about were written maybe 5 years ago and the cultural dialogue has changed even since then.)

Hope I continue to see you around ! :)
I feel you! Also, hope to see you around too!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Now I think I have second thoughts in reviewing the book myself. I was at first intrigued by his life as a conman. I never thought this could turn out really bad. I am one of those people who would rather feel than see, so I guess it was a mistake in getting this a review. Thanks for this honest and thorough review though. I guess I have to push through mine, but still, thanks for the heads up.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

briellejee wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 09:07 Now I think I have second thoughts in reviewing the book myself. I was at first intrigued by his life as a conman. I never thought this could turn out really bad. I am one of those people who would rather feel than see, so I guess it was a mistake in getting this a review. Thanks for this honest and thorough review though. I guess I have to push through mine, but still, thanks for the heads up.
It's not extremely bad, it was intriguing in certain parts, but it's not as promising as it claims to be and it is definitely missing a few pieces! Also, don't go with a negative prejudice, your experience might be different than mine and you may even like it!

Anyways, glad I could help and thank you for stopping by and commenting! :)
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Imagine going to jail, then coming back again to do the same illegal activities that got you there in the first place. What a story! Thanks for an informative review.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

When I read this book, I found it a bit disturbing in some parts, yet, it satisfied my craving for travel adventure. Although I didn't mention this in my review, I didn't like Tito as a person. I didn't care too much that Titos's wives were left out. The story, after all, is about Tito and how he describes people tells a lot about his personality. But I've noticed several other things that were disturbing to me, as a woman. It didn't seem that Tito respects women in general.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”