Review by Elvis93 -- 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review by Elvis93 -- 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)

Post by Elvis93 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape (First Edition)" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading science-fiction books is always delightful and entertaining. It shows how far humans or scientists more specifically can go with their imagination. This book entitled 30th Century: Escape written by Mark Kingston Levin, is an illustration.

Unfolding during the thirtieth Century, humanity survival was threatened by Syndos. The only way to save mankind from extinction was to use the Trans-Time One machine to travel back in the twenty-seventh century to correct the genetic error present in the first Syndos that prevented them from developing a sense of morality. The introduction of a virus to those early Syndos as young children of the twenty-seventh century will prevent their aggressive behavior against humanity and everything will return to normal.This difficult and delicate mission to safe humanity was bestowed to a team of fifty with Jennifer Hiro as the captain. The mission was a success recording just two casualties and five imprisoned for security violations. The prisoners were freed, and the team was transported back to the thirtieth century.

It is worth mentioning that this mission was carried out without Jennifer Hero, the main character. While her team was transported to the twenty-seventh century as scheduled, she found herself in an isolated atoll of Moruroa in the twenty-first century instead with no means to catch up with her team. Rescued by Marty Zitonick and his crew, Jennifer pretended amnesia in other to keep secret her identity. She started a new and complete life in this century. She had a new family, made a myriad of friends, completed her studies on dark energy and falling in love with Marty Zitonick. Jennifer finally rejoined her team thanks to her twin sister Jenny and her two-way time machine. Both sisters traveled to the twenty-seventh century four years later when the mission was already accomplished. While the team was transported back to the thirtieth century, Jennifer Hero decided to return to the twenty-first century to continue the life she started there.

Through Jennifer hero’s life in the twenty-first century, I discovered so many things such as some cities and islands of the French Polynesia (Moruroa, fangataufa, tureia,Marquesas), the rich culture of the people living in these islands. I was impressed with all the details in the dialogues between characters, and I even felt like watching a movie while reading this book. The French touch in this book caught my attention. It was a great feeling for me reading a book in English with a mixture of French.

I don’t understand why the author chose to focus on Jennifer’s life in the twenty-first century. 30 chapters (from chapter three to chapter thirty-two) out of 34 were all about Jennifer’s life, ignoring completely the mission to save humanity. Furthermore, no detail was provided on how the mission was carried out. That’s unfortunate. I just noticed in the last chapter entitled “Extraction” that the mission was successful. All Jennifer did was to free the five teammates captured and assured the extraction of her team. Lastly, the book has an important sexual content. It is quite interesting, but I don’t really approve the author describing absolutely all the details during sexual relations.

Taking into consideration all the observations stated above, I will rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Sincerely speaking, I enjoyed the first three chapters. I was expecting so much about the mission, how it was carried out, the impediments, how they infected the Syndos with the virus in other to prevent their aggressive behavior toward humans. Instead, the following chapters till chapter thirty-two were all about Jennifer fishing tunas, having new friends, traveling from one island to another, from one country to another, becoming a Ph.D. holder, making love all the time with Marty, Alice, Ian, Lacy, Eerita and more. I will just recommend this book to open minded people. Ultimately, the book is well edited even though I found four minor typographical errors.

30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elvis93's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Had the author stuck to the mission at hand, the plot could have been interesting. Too bad almost all the chapters in the book discussed Jennifer’s life. Thanks for a helpful review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is great. The theme is actually interesting especially in light of the present trend in terms of morality and relativism. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the interesting review
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Elvis93
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis93 »

Rose Harebate wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 03:34 Had the author stuck to the mission at hand, the plot could have been interesting. Too bad almost all the chapters in the book discussed Jennifer’s life. Thanks for a helpful review.
really bad. i was expecting so much from the mission. i appreciate you reading my review. thanks a lot.
Elvis93
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis93 »

Kibetious wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 04:10 This is great. The theme is actually interesting especially in light of the present trend in terms of morality and relativism. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the interesting review
very interesting your reaction. thanks for taking your time to read my review
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I don’t understand why the author chose to focus on Jennifer’s life in the twenty-first century. 30 chapters (from chapter three to chapter thirty-two) out of 34 were all about Jennifer’s life, ignoring completely the mission to save humanity.
Right?! This isn’t the first review I’ve read of this book, and this seems to be a really common complaint. It’s enough for me to know to skip it.

Your review is thoughtful and tells potential readers what they need to know. Thanks for sharing it with us!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Elvis93
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis93 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 22:05
I don’t understand why the author chose to focus on Jennifer’s life in the twenty-first century. 30 chapters (from chapter three to chapter thirty-two) out of 34 were all about Jennifer’s life, ignoring completely the mission to save humanity.
Right?! This isn’t the first review I’ve read of this book, and this seems to be a really common complaint. It’s enough for me to know to skip it.

Your review is thoughtful and tells potential readers what they need to know. Thanks for sharing it with us!
i thank you for reading my review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”