Review by Anthony__ -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review by Anthony__ -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Retired Presbyterian minister, William E. Combs provides an in-depth answer to the question asked by God in the third chapter of the Old Testament Bible book of Genesis through his book titled: “Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden.

In this book, Reverend Combs revisits the Garden of Eden to reexamine how sin came into the world through the principal Adam, and how the second Adam, Jesus Christ redeemed us from this “imposing enemy crouching at the door” by His grace through faith. This subject overhauled almost every previous belief that I held. Who Told You That You Were Naked is a non-fiction Christian book that helps the reader to have a superior understanding of the knowledge of sin, salvation of our soul through the work of Jesus Christ, and the concept of faith shaped through the lens of the New Testament. This book presents an extremely empowering evaluation of the entire Bible.

Reverend Combs displays a deliberate reason to give answers to questions that are frequently disregarded and overlooked when reading the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible. Questions regarding embarrassment due to the Knowledge of sin was investigated with scriptural back-ups. When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, suddenly they felt embarrassed and were ashamed of their nakedness. Combs described “nakedness” as spiritual separation from God and relational separation from mankind as a result of man’s disobedience. This led to the “imposing enemy crouching at the door” know as the sin which was made manifest in the lives of Cain and Abel in the fourth chapter of the Old Testament book of Genesis, and in the world.

However, Reverend Combs explains how God reconciled man to Himself through his only son Jesus Christ (the only sinless son of Adam) in the Third chapter of the New Testament book of John. Although Jesus Christ inherited the knowledge of good and evil been a descendant of Adam, it did not create a feeling of nakedness in Him. This conveys the message of Jesus Christ as the mediator of mankind. Also, the author clarifies faith in Christianity in two ways: Little faith and real faith. He explained “Little faith” as allowing your desires to overwhelm your inheritance. This relates to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil which results to disobedience. Whereas, the “real faith” is knowing the mind of God regarding the situation and obeying instructions. This relates to the acknowledgements of who we are in Christ Jesus.

In an effort to make the readers understand the content of the passages and concept of discussion, combs made use of simple characters, short vignettes, and topical ordering of subtitles that would carry the readers along. I personally enjoyed the thought-provoking study questions he provided at the end of each chapter, and the fact that he chooses to explain the extensions of the important point in an Endnote made the book neat and well structured. However, I noticed that the author did not specify the version of the bible been cited. As a result, some tenses he explained where not in other versions of the bible. Although I figured it out, this might be challenging for the unbelievers. Notwithstanding, the book is intriguing, and I love it.

I recommend Who Told You That You Were Naked to mature Christians and newly converted Christians. This can be used as a Sunday school material in churches or an insightful side reading for family devotion. For the unbeliever or an atheist, this can be read as a theological study for educational purposes. I would, however, encourage anyone who chooses to read this book to reference his own Bible for a personal encounter. I award this book 4 out of 4 stars rating because it is well written and well researched. I found only one typographical error. Other than that, Who Told You That You Were Naked is gem anyone searching for the truth should read.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anthony__'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book was an informative read for me, especially from the perspective of comparative study. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

This book gives a deep evaluation of the Bible. Great review.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 01:03 This book was an informative read for me, especially from the perspective of comparative study. Thanks for this great review.
Thanks for stopping by :)
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Willy_wanker wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 05:13 This book gives a deep evaluation of the Bible. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by :D
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

your review is very insightful and i am glad i was able to read the book myself. thanks for the awesome review.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I am currently reading this book, and this is a great review. I'm excited to finish it now :)
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

nooregano wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 22:59 I am currently reading this book, and this is a great review. I'm excited to finish it now :)
The book is intriguing. Thanks for stopping by😅
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Itskai88 wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 17:04 your review is very insightful and i am glad i was able to read the book myself. thanks for the awesome review.
You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by☺
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the wonderful review. It makes my knowledge of the fall come alive. I will add this to my to read list.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I hadn't heard of that theory about Jesus of Nazareth being a son (descendant?) of Adam before. Interesting.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 01:46 I hadn't heard of that theory about Jesus of Nazareth being a son (descendant?) of Adam before. Interesting.
Yes he is. As every living soul on earth are descendant of Adam and Eve. WHY? This because we were all given birth to by a woman either normal or through CS. The same way Jesus was given birth to by Mary. I guess this helps?
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Quinto wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 01:33 Thanks for the wonderful review. It makes my knowledge of the fall come alive. I will add this to my to read list.

Thank you for stopping by :D :D :D
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Will consider sharing this book with my connect group. It sounds very interesting, great review.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 11:39 Will consider sharing this book with my connect group. It sounds very interesting, great review.

Thank you Darlynn. I think the book would be helpful to them. The book also have thought-provoking questions at the end of every chapter. I guess that would be of great help. Thank you for stopping by

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”