Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole is the first book in the World on Fire series. This fiction novel contains 219 pages that include a captivating supernatural story. The set in focus is Raven’s Peak, a small town in Smokey Mountains. A young woman called Abigail is a trained Hunter who fights demons and tries to bring back the peace. I found the story mysterious and intriguing.

The novel starts with an absorbing epilogue, in which, the author introduces former reverend Arthur who was a Hunter serving the Council. Abigail is like his adopted daughter, and he has trained her to fight demons. Haatim is a theology graduate who is in search of a job. His sister’s untimely death has shattered him emotionally. A stranger appoints Haatim to spy Abigail who tails the stranger. The story takes many interesting turns, and later, Haatim joins Abigail in her adventures. Jointly, they kill many demons at various places and try to restore peace. Reverend Arthur too gets possessed by a demon, and Abigail’s effort to trace Arthur and rescue him from the demon is truly heart-warming.

The plot is full of paranormal happenings. Supernatural is the pivotal theme of this book. There are many demon characters in the novel. Sometimes, I was confused, and it was difficult for me to differentiate between the human characters and the demon characters. But, as the story proceeded, everything became clear. This story being a horror mystery, I read the major part of the novel at night to make the most out of it. While reading, I experienced goosebumps at many points, and I was so much engrossed in the story that a sudden sound nearby terrified me.

The story is original and compelling. Lincoln Cole has done a great job of tactfully developing the characters. He has filled suitable features in each character. I found the portrayal of the character Belphegor, a powerful demon, enticing. The novel upholds the win of good against evil. Also, the story depicts how true prayers can mitigate problems. The effortless flow of fitting words and the fast pacing of the novel are the two main positives of this book.

Raven’s Peak is edited and well-developed. However, I noticed a few grammar mistakes and typos while reading. I suggest the author go for final editing which will make the novel better. I must admit here that these mistakes didn’t distract me from my reading.

All things considered, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I had to reduce a score due to the grammar errors. Plus, I felt the author could have organized the story in a better way. However, it was a gripping read for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed. I recommend this novel to all adults who like to read supernatural stories. I don’t recommend this book to children because of the blood and gore in the plot and the spooky things that might make them afraid. This is not a book for people who can’t stand blood and gore.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

You are brave! I reserve the reading of horror books for during the day. I scare far too easily and I'd probably struggle to sleep. :lol2: Nonetheless, I am glad good triumphs over evil in the book. I'm not a fan of blood and gore, so I will have to pass. I hope the author takes your advice and polishes this baby up. Thanks for the wonderful review!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Thanks a lot for reading my review. I am sorry that I am late to reply. You are right! This book indeed has many blood and gore scenes. If you are not a fan of such a plot, please pass it.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I loved the gripping prologue and a very strong women protagonist. The story as a whole was amazing.
Thanks a lot for the review Shaila☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”