Review by T_stone -- At the Mouth of a Cannon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by T_stone -- At the Mouth of a Cannon

Post by T_stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "At the Mouth of a Cannon" by Kevin Annett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Based on factual historical events, Kevin Annett’s At the Mouth of a Cannon follows the life of Pastor Kevin on the West Coast of Canada. Told as a first-person narrative, this is a story that talks about the Ahousaht tribe of Indians in Port Alberni. It has seven chapters.

Kevin Annett was a pastor stationed in Port Alberni at St. Andrews Church in 1992. When Kevin got to Port Alberni, he noticed that only the Whites attended the church he was posted to. Out of curiosity, he did a bit of investigation that brought to light the secret that was hidden by the “three-headed monster”: the Church, the Government, and the big business companies. For many years, they covered up a series of events that ended the lives of thousands of Ahousahts: injudicious killings, human sterilization, the spread of smallpox, and genocide. Kevin's discovery of this secret led to his dismissal.

Some Ahousahts helped him in his quest to uncover the truth behind the misdeeds of the Church and their cover-ups. Danny Gus and Earl George were his most supportive Ahousahts. Danny was a retired fisherman from the ancient Ahousaht tribe, and Earl was a descendant of Chief Billy August, the hereditary elder responsible for protecting the Ahousahts' lands.

This book is fast-paced and well-organized. The author’s organization of sentences is clear, sensible, cogent and well-thought-out. He has written this book to commiserate with the Indians in Port Alberni. He paints a vivid picture of the series of events that happened over those years. This story is quite easy to read and understand. He includes pictures in this book for those that may have doubts on the genuineness of his story. There are notes throughout for easy referencing, and the appendix shows the sequential order of events narrated.

Despite the good organization, this story is not free of errors. There were spacing errors throughout the book. Each chapter had at least a paragraph that was not well-spaced. This book has a lot of punctuation errors (unnecessary hyphenation and apostrophes). There were some misspelled words like “extinquishing” for “extinguishing” in chapter three and “due” for “do” in chapter seven.

At the Mouth of a Cannon will appeal to those who have an interest in the background stories of Indians and Canadians on the West Coast. Readers who love good historical non-fiction stories will like it, too. This book won't interest readers who don't appreciate history or non-fiction stories. In addition, this book won’t appeal to some Christians; the narration in chapter two may contradict their belief in God’s creation of Heaven and Earth.

Overall, I rate At the Mouth of a Cannon by Kevin Annett 3 out of 4 stars because it’s a good non-fiction work with so many details. I didn’t give it a perfect rating because it lacked professional editing. I didn't assign a lesser rating because the errors didn't disrupt the message of the story.

At the Mouth of a Cannon
View: on Bookshelves

Like T_stone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I mostly look for fictions when composing a reading list, but this sounds like one of those books where truth is stranger (and more horrible) than fiction. I believe I would love reading this. Thanks for the thorough review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is quite horrifying when certain racial groups are so oppressed simply because they exist, but history shows this over and over, and still we don't learn. Well-constructed review - thank you!
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Shrabastee wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 01:07 I mostly look for fictions when composing a reading list, but this sounds like one of those books where truth is stranger (and more horrible) than fiction. I believe I would love reading this. Thanks for the thorough review!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Thanks for dropping by
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 01:42 It is quite horrifying when certain racial groups are so oppressed simply because they exist, but history shows this over and over, and still we don't learn. Well-constructed review - thank you!
It was quite sad and annoying reading about the oppression in this book. Thank you for reading my review

Rob White
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like an interesting book. Shame he lost his job for bringing truth to light.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm a fan of historical fiction when it is well executed. It's a shame about the book's editing issues. I'll just have to endure through them I guess.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 02:43 Great review. It sounds like an interesting book. Shame he lost his job for bringing truth to light.
Was quite sad he did. Thanks for reading and commenting

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

prospero360 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 09:25 I'm a fan of historical fiction when it is well executed. It's a shame about the book's editing issues. I'll just have to endure through them I guess.
It's a non fiction prospero360, for clarification. And, thanks for reading and commenting

Rob White
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I don't know much about Canadian history, so I might give this book a try. I'm always seeking to learn more. Thanks for the great review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Vscholz wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 22:40 I don't know much about Canadian history, so I might give this book a try. I'm always seeking to learn more. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rob White
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book presents a part of history I am not familiar with. I like the fact that the author included pictures. Thanks for the interesting review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly a nice historical fiction. Thanks for the nice and comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 16:01 This book presents a part of history I am not familiar with. I like the fact that the author included pictures. Thanks for the interesting review.
I wasn't familiar with this myself, and I must confess; I was quite shocked. Thanks for reading and commenting on my review.

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Sushan wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 20:29 Seemingly a nice historical fiction. Thanks for the nice and comprehensive review 👍👍

Thanks for your comment.

Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”