Review by AA1495 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Review by AA1495 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The potatoes sleep during the day and put up a show at night with other foods. They sing their favorite potato song but unfortunately Benny refuses to play his part. He insists that he is not a potato. He is a banana. The string bean director wants Benny to stop complaining and admit to being a potato. Will Benny be able to convince the string bean director and his costars that he is not a potato?

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley is a 28 page long book meant for children between the ages of 3 and 7. The book contains numerous animated illustrations and colorful backgrounds. The font used is large and eye-catching. I think that these elements would make the book perfect for children of the target age group.

What I liked best about the book was its powerful message. Benny did not give into peer pressure. He did not want to be just like everyone else. He was different and he was proud of that. He made every effort to prove to everyone else that he was in fact a banana. These days, children face a lot of peer pressure and may try to change themselves to be able to fit into their social group. I think reading this book would persuade them to accept and love themselves for who they are.

While this book is meant for children, I loved reading the book. I finished reading it in a few minutes and was left with a huge smile on my face. I liked how the author introduced an element of humor in the book by calling Benny a “yellow zucchini” when he states that he is long and skinny. Further, I found the illustrations extremely adorable. In particular, I loved the drawing of the annoyed and frowning string bean director.

I have no major issues with the book. One minor issue that I had with the book was the abrupt introduction of most of its characters. The first few pages of the book focus solely on the potatoes. At this point, I was under the assumption that the entire book was about the potatoes. When the potato song begins, new characters such as a sandwich, a jelly bean and a watermelon are described. I was slightly confused by this. However, it did not change my overall impression of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It has a wonderful message and includes numerous delightful illustrations. While I definitely recommend this book for children between the ages of 3 and 7, I would also suggest it to adults who want a very quick, funny and lighthearted read.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”