Review by DorcasToo -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Jaguar" by Preben Orman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Jaguar is an amazing mystery murder novel set in the Yucatan Coast in Mexico. It is the first book in a series of Inspector Marco Nayal. A character created to showcase the mind of police when trying to solve a crime.

Inspector Marco Nayal receives a call one morning about a body found in a mangrove swamp by a local farmer. Arriving at the scene, it's not easy to recognise who the victim is, as, there's nothing on his body for identification. However, they successfully discover the body belongs to Eduardo Miguel Garcia also known as Lalo. He's the CEO of a nanotech company acronymed as NANDEC. Initially, with the setup it looked like a robbery but; as more information is unraveled, it is discovered that it's a premise for murder.

This sets the pace and storyline of the book. Marco, therefore, is tasked by the Comisaro (commissioner) to head the investigation in solving the case. He works with a team of four comprising: Chuy his partner, Ramirez and Antigua , and Flor a computer scientist. Together, they work to conclude the case only to realize they were wrong one way or another. As this happens, more bodies turn up dead and the pressure from above is increasing daily ,as, closure of the case is required.

Preben Ormen has done a good job with this book. From the title of the book; which is later on explained when Marco flashes back to his time in the jungle. The character development is well done with each character portrayed in their own capacity. For example, Chuy plays the perfect right-hand man: aiding in direction, finding information, roleplaying amongst many other roles. Marco definitely comes out strongly as the main character in the decision-making process after, the team comes up with the ideas. The storyline flows smoothly with some surprises, and some unexpected twists as the story progresses.

The story was captivating enough to keep me glued to the end. It comprises of short chapters that easily blend in together to create smooth flow and continuation of the story. What I however didn't like about the book is the errors which were quite rampant. Common errors include wrong spellings, punctuation and typos. For example, in the sentence below complete should be completed according to the context.
They quickly complete a round of handshaking

Generally, the story was well done and will need a round of editing for polishing and perfection. Therefore, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all readers who enjoy murder mystery novels. It's not fast-paced so, some people won't like this. Also, nanotechnology lovers will enjoy reading it as the storyline leans more in its favour. The action isn't that much but here and there with some bits of homosexuality. Otherwise, the language is mild and there are no gory scenes.

White Jaguar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Very nicely done! This sounds like a book with a complex storyline that is intriguing. I read a lot of non-fiction, but I will look into this one after reading your review. Thanks for the good insight into this book.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I enjoy when a book begins with a murder, and then the crime becomes more elaborate and complex. I also enjoy crime novels when they involve the cooperation between consultants and investigators. The added terminology and tasks performed in the case help the story, I enjoy learning about investigation and evidence when I read crime novels.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a very detailed review. Crime investigation is one of my favorites when reading thrillers. Thanks for this. I'm adding this book to my TBR list.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

With the cryptic murder puzzles and all, it looks like a book that can keep me occupied. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This isn't a genre that I'd go for, but it's good that you've found the piece noteworthy despite the errors. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

Thanks all for the comments this is one book that I have been postponing reading it. But when I read it am glad that I did because it was epic.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

cpru68 wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 18:05 Very nicely done! This sounds like a book with a complex storyline that is intriguing. I read a lot of non-fiction, but I will look into this one after reading your review. Thanks for the good insight into this book.
Glad to hear so. Thanks for reading it.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

T_stone wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 08:14 This is a very detailed review. Crime investigation is one of my favorites when reading thrillers. Thanks for this. I'm adding this book to my TBR list.
:tiphat: Thank you glad you found this informative.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

Quinto wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 01:31 With the cryptic murder puzzles and all, it looks like a book that can keep me occupied. Thanks for your wonderful review.
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”