Review by Zimall -- In Pursuit of The Pale Prince

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Review by Zimall -- In Pursuit of The Pale Prince

Post by Zimall »

[Following is a volunteer review of "In Pursuit of The Pale Prince" by Mark Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Pursuit of The Pale Prince by Mark Wallace Maguire falls in the genre of sci-fi/fantasy or young adult fantasy.

The book is about a 12-year-old boy Arestus, who lives in The Woods. His father died of a mysterious disease and his mother remains ill. His uncle Axton comes to visit his mother. Has he come for condolence? Or he has a bigger fish to fry?

Arestus’ mother gives Arestus the responsibility to deliver the crown of Ellesund (the last great king) to the Pale Prince. The crown was found by his father and it holds a great importance. It can play a tremendous role in the war which is about to begin between the North and Southwen. On his way to the North, he meets some friends in the form of Hendelf and Cirin.

The story is told from the first-person point of view. It is a narrative story that is told by Arestus. It has an easy-to-understand diction that provides an enjoyable read. The story is a blend of emotions, war and humour. All these factors are perfectly intertwined which is the beauty of a narrative tale. The unpleasant subject of war is described in a best possible way to avoid gory scenes and to make it readable for young children. Humour is interwoven with the story to make it light-hearted. I loved the way the author used humour in the deadliest and scariest situations. Wallace doesn't let a reader to be in dread at any moment. Although, the first half of the book is void of humour but as the book proceeds into a gloomy phase, humour is introduced through the character of Hendelf.

The underlying theme of the story is the courage and bravery. It emphasis on being brave and to cast off unnecessary fears. There is a hero inside everyone of us. All we need to do is to discover that hero. Living a life full of mischief would bring no good. We have to find a purpose in our lives. A good purpose, that can bring hope and happiness in the world.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. Only the end seemed a bit sudden. Otherwise, the book was fascinating and provided me with an escape from distress. It is professionally edited as I was unable to find any error except two minor typos. I think there should be a sequel to this book as the story can easily be extended to a series of adventures.

I would gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its marvellous writing style. I would suggest this book to all fantasy fans and especially to the children around 10-15 as they would enjoy this novel most.

In Pursuit of The Pale Prince
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zimall's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like the author's style of writing. I like that he puts some humor in depressing situations. It sounds like a great book. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 02:05 I like the author's style of writing. I like that he puts some humor in depressing situations. It sounds like a great book. Thank you!
Thanks a lot for commenting 😊
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I also like that the author uses humor in the deadliest and scariest situations to make the story light-hearted. I'm curious as to whether Arestus the delivered the crown to the Pale Prince - whoever he is. Guess I have to pick up the book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Sci-fi, YA fantasy goes along with my taste. Thank you for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 07:47 I also like that the author uses humor in the deadliest and scariest situations to make the story light-hearted. I'm curious as to whether Arestus the delivered the crown to the Pale Prince - whoever he is. Guess I have to pick up the book!
You would love it. And thanks a lot for commenting Cotwani☺
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Sushan wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 12:12 Sci-fi, YA fantasy goes along with my taste. Thank you for the detailed review 👍👍
Thanks a lot for commenting bro☺
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This is one of my most favourite genre. I believe this book is something I would enjoy. I believe that humor is something that lets us forget the enormity of any grave situation so that we can cope with it. Glad that the author uses this in his book. The theme of the book sounds perfect for the intended audience. Thanks for providing us with such a wonderful review!
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Shrabastee wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 22:46 This is one of my most favourite genre. I believe this book is something I would enjoy. I believe that humor is something that lets us forget the enormity of any grave situation so that we can cope with it. Glad that the author uses this in his book. The theme of the book sounds perfect for the intended audience. Thanks for providing us with such a wonderful review!
Thanks a lot for commenting Shrabastee☺
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Arestus mission to deliver the crown sounds daunting yet exciting.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Taylor Danvers wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 21:25 Arestus mission to deliver the crown sounds daunting yet exciting.
Thanks a lot for the feedback Taylor 😊
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

The story is a blend of emotions, war and humour. All these factors are perfectly intertwined which is the beauty of a narrative tale.
This is not my favorite genre, but I have to admit the book sounds well-done. I love and admire books that incorporate humor throughout, even during dark parts. However, a little bit of dread isn’t always a bad thing for me as a reader!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 03:12
The story is a blend of emotions, war and humour. All these factors are perfectly intertwined which is the beauty of a narrative tale.
This is not my favorite genre, but I have to admit the book sounds well-done. I love and admire books that incorporate humor throughout, even during dark parts. However, a little bit of dread isn’t always a bad thing for me as a reader!
The book is a good blend of dread, emotion and a bit of humour. Thanks a lot for commenting Belle😊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”