Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Will of The Hill

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Will of The Hill

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's truly universally acknowledged that parents always wish to provide the best for their kids. However, their proper upbringing impacts the parents and society in more ways than one can imagine. Will of The Hill is a read that contributes to this very cause of proper upbringing. The author, Marshall Cobs, offers an outstanding read that parents would dare refuse. He had composed this 107 pages together to bring forth the learning-with-fun concept.

This read is more appropriate to kids between the age group of 8- to 12-year-old. It's the first book introduced by Marshall Cobs which ends on a cliffhanger. This read consists of 11 chapters in total, is an exceptional read, which I read it all in one sitting. The environmental visualization provided by the author focuses on a countryside community with access to a local school situated on top of a hill.

I wish to know your opinion! What do you think if you provide a book, to your kids, that reflects on true events in life? On this point, I wish to advise the parents to read this book with their kids. There are so many lessons taught, but what describes the best about this read is the beautiful friendship between Will, our protagonist, and Dillon, his best friend, mentioned below:
“Intrude is blackmailing me; she’s got my bag of Edgar comics that I’d stashed under the hedge, and she’s going to give them to Ms. Early unless I get you to go to her birthday party.”
Dillon stared at him like he was an alien on this planet. “You let Intrude mess with you? Intrude?”
“You don’t get it! You never get in trouble. No one’s ever after you. When she tells Ms. Early about the comic book stash, I’ll be scraping gum and boogers for the rest of the year. My mom will take all of my comics away. You won’t be able to come over and…”
“I’ll go to Ms. Early and tell her the comics are mine,” Dillon said, “Ms. Early wouldn’t believe you, but she’ll believe me. You may be smarter than me, but I get away with everything.”
“But Intrude said, "you couldn’t know." She’ll be able to tell, and I never get away with anything.”
Dillon threw his arm around Will’s shoulder. “You let me handle Intrude, and we’ll see who gets away with what.”
What interests me the most is the author's reflections about the different circumstances that children encounter, and the unique personalities given to his characters. Marshall Cobs has this unique talent to give life to his characters: from the silent boy, Will, to the bully named Gertrude, Intrude. This read provides an excellent visualization, such as,
"...Ms. Early’s odd appearance. It wasn’t that her head was actually big. In fact, the blossom of bountiful, blonde hair that extended in just about every direction from her head seemed like a deliberate attempt to make up for the fact that her actual head was really quite small. She was like a male lion—all hair with a tiny, frowning face." (P.5).

The author displays the perfect reflection of a mindset of a 10-year-old. He expresses the difficulty of a young mind trying to distinguish the age definition for adulthood. He also remarks on how young boys' view on puberty which was humorous:
"He was in no hurry to go through puberty, which, as far as he could tell just meant he would get hairy and smelly, and begin liking girls. Yech!" (P.16).
The author uses a character like Gertrude to bring out the concerns that parents may have about how self-conscious their children may be, especially about their appearance, at such a tender age. Marshall Cobs display how young kids look up to their parents, and how their influence shapes their kids' thinking.

He is very expressive in his work: through his characters, the author is very skillful to bring-out meaningful advise. Through Dillon, the importance of having great friends. Through Gertrude, the fate that leads to spoiling your only child, and most importantly, not to raise a bully. Through Will, our protagonist, one needs to learn to be strong to one's self, and most importantly, have faith in friendship.

I did experience intense moments in this read. At times, I felt the pressure that Will faced been subjected to bullying by his classmate. I clearly enjoyed this read to my heart's content. I felt bad when the story ended abruptly. This read reminded me of a book series called Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

I believe graphic illustrations, related to the author's characters, would be an ideal value addition to this read, especially to attract young readers. I noted a lot of punctuation errors, and it was interesting to note this,
"to my bride: thank you for helping me to understand that while I don’t care about commas, others might."
I believe another round of proofreading will help, but I don't wish to hold this mistake as a big issue. This read maintains a perfect standard, and for this reason, I wish to rate this read 4 out of 4 stars; it's truly a beautiful read that I don't mind waiting for its next book.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for this comprehensive review. I like the lessons on the characters we shape our children to develop. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 02:00 Thanks for this comprehensive review. I like the lessons on the characters we shape our children to develop. Great review!
Thank you so much for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Parenting is quite challenging. Parents will really appreciate the content of the book as they seek to find new ways of bringing up their children. Nice review.
Sahani Nimandra

Jgideon wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 03:18 Parenting is quite challenging. Parents will really appreciate the content of the book as they seek to find new ways of bringing up their children. Nice review.
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

No doubt this a great book. I enjoyed it too. Though I couldn't find any punctuation errors because i'm really bad at punctuation. Time to read some grammar and punctuation books. Nice review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Sahani Nimandra

Sunnyroyish wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 04:15 No doubt this a great book. I enjoyed it too. Though I couldn't find any punctuation errors because i'm really bad at punctuation. Time to read some grammar and punctuation books. Nice review.
Hehe! Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book sounds so cute and funny. The topics of bullying,friendships, and growing up are all great ones to cover in this story of a school on a hill. I enjoyed reading your review and the quotes from the book.
Sahani Nimandra

LV2R wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 05:35 The book sounds so cute and funny. The topics of bullying,friendships, and growing up are all great ones to cover in this story of a school on a hill. I enjoyed reading your review and the quotes from the book.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice review. I had thought that the book was all about parenting. Nice to see that the author was able to bring out some issues that rea important such as meaningful friendships. I would like to read this. It must be fascinating given that you read it in one sitting.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sahani Nimandra

Kibetious wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 00:46 Nice review. I had thought that the book was all about parenting. Nice to see that the author was able to bring out some issues that rea important such as meaningful friendships. I would like to read this. It must be fascinating given that you read it in one sitting.
Actually, it was. I was so excited about this read that I did finish reading it in one sitting. I'm sure that you too will be smitten by this read. Thank you for commenting!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I've always known something even when I was young, but I truly came to know its meaning only when I became a mum. "It's always easier than done." This is why I'm compelled to truthfully tell my kids to do as I say and not what I do so that they'be spared from the consequences of making the same mistakes I (or others) make. In the case of bullying, I think it's better to not do what we don't want others to do unto us; we should do what we want others to do so, too. What's ideal and what's happening aren't exactly the same always as well. People's perspectives on solutions vary, too. Nonetheless, thank you for your encompassing review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 00:19 I've always known something even when I was young, but I truly came to know its meaning only when I became a mum. "It's always easier than done." This is why I'm compelled to truthfully tell my kids to do as I say and not what I do so that they'be spared from the consequences of making the same mistakes I (or others) make. In the case of bullying, I think it's better to not do what we don't want others to do unto us; we should do what we want others to do so, too. What's ideal and what's happening aren't exactly the same always as well. People's perspectives on solutions vary, too. Nonetheless, thank you for your encompassing review.
Thank you so much, dear! I'm not a mother so I really don't no about that, but all I know is that children learn from their parents. :tiphat:
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review (like always!)
Seems like a really good book, and may help children learn some things as well. My daughter is too old to read this to, or with. But, it sounds like I may actually enjoy it anyway.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seems as an interesting book. Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive review. Though it is recommended for children, I wish to read it in future 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”