Review by Sicily Joy -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Review by Sicily Joy -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Sicily Joy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley is a children’s book about potatoes and other foods that are trying to put on a show. Foley tells the story through pictures and rhymes. It details what the characters like to do throughout the day while living in a kitchen. The three main potato characters are Arnie, Jimmy, and Marvin whom all have their own unique talents, personality, and clothing styles. The fourth central character is Benny, a banana, who wants everyone to respect his uniqueness. The book takes the reader through the conflicts of making their potato centered television show.

What I liked most about this book is that it is light-hearted and quite funny. The pictures are colorful and cute. The silly faces of the food characters made me smile. I also love children books that have rhymes. I think the musical quality of the book will help children better remember the words from the story. Rhymes also help children foster their creativity. The fact that the food characters are creating a show will encourage children to use their imagination. A strong imagination is an important tool for learning how to read.

Len Foley’s story teaches children about numbers, colors, shapes, and how to differentiate between different groups. There are subtle messages about teamwork and accepting differences. I like that the educational aspects of the book go beyond simply teaching words. It encourages good problem solving and relational skills.

There was nothing about the book that I didn't enjoy. I did wonder why the images looked like photocopied food with funny faces drawn on them even though Len Foley created all the images himself. At first, I thought it would have been better to have more professional looking drawings. However, I realized the silly depictions of the food made the book more comical.

I found no errors in the book. Therefore, I believe Four Funny Potatoes! was professionally edited. The whole book was amusing. The surprise ending made me laugh out loud. I enjoyed the singing food, the funny characters, and the educational elements of the book. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Since this book is easy to read and remember, I think it will appeal to guardians and teachers of pre-reading age children. It is a great book to read out loud while pregnant or to read to children from 0 to 6 years old. I also believe beginning readers will enjoy and learn a lot from this book.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sicily Joy's review? Post a comment saying so!
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

Thank you, you wrote an admirable review! I also believe that kids of all ages will learn a big lesson from this book about being unique! and that being unique is the best thing they can be!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Foley seems to have a talent for surprise endings. I was quite startled by the end if Sigfried's Smelly Socks. I can't even imagine the comical attributes that must abound in this book. I'm glad it was so much fun for you to read.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Yours is the second review that I read regarding this book. It is good to see different views. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This seems to be a creative, fun, and lesson-filled book for our young ones. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”