Review by TrinaA -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrinaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trinaa.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by TrinaA -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by TrinaA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is very interesting and I originally chose it because I am very interested in health books and what caught my attention was the title and description. It is mainly about the many myths concerning our well being and wether they are worth trying. The book list facts backed by science and that makes it even more interesting because you can say something doesn’t work but explain why it doesn’t and the author did a good job of breaking down the facts of it all.

Some topics the author talked about brought clarity to my eyes such as the truth about dietary supplements. For instance, some supplements are not FDA approved or known to even work or the extra supplements we take may not benefit us. Also, he talked about advertising and how it can be misleading.

What was even more interesting to me is how every topic had an explanation and every topic was not based on just health issues. For an example, the author explained the facts behind lie detector test and how they work or should really work. And he talked about professional athletes being used in advertisements.

For the most part paragraphs were short but some appeared extensive and kind of boring such as the topic about allergies and it was five pages long and the topic on WiFi was boring to say the least. Mostly every other chapter held my interest but some other health topics could have been included such as hair growth and care.

The thing I liked about the author is even though he is a physician he still wrote chapters on the downfalls of physicians and medicine. Usually if the author is in the same career field he or she would not center his or her knowledge on that particular field. He really set the record straight and opened my eyes to a lot of beliefs I previously had and the reason I say previously is because the author gained my trust mostly but I have to disagree somewhat on his perception of alternative health. He didn’t say anything good about alternative health and I personally believe in some forms of it from personal experience. I can kind of understand his perception of alternative health because it’s not backed by science but that is a downfall of the system.

I really enjoyed reading this book but I had to give it’s rating a 3 out of 4 because of the many grammar mishaps such as a incomplete sentence in chapter 3 page 13 and chapter 22 page 89. Overall this book would be for people interested in the non-fiction health and wellness genre. I would definitely purchase this book to add to my collection of health books. It is very informative.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TrinaA's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”