Review by Swiftmover07 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Swiftmover07 -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Swiftmover07 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After having a tragically painful past, Anna Simmons' heart feels torn in a million pieces. She makes a conscious decision to better herself and not fall in love with the first man to show her attention; she will never allow a man to hurt her again. That is, until Rafe Brown enters her life, and appears as haunted as she is. Rafe is a shattered version of his usual self, a soldier just returning from Syria can't come to terms with himself over what he had to do during the war.

Heartaches 3 is a contemporary romance novel by author H.M. Irwing that spins a tale of love, hate, action, and revenge. The characters have thoughts, emotions, and issues that everyday people have to deal with in modern society.

I found that this being my first book in the series, it was a rather difficult read. Being thrown into the storyline, with no backstory or ever being told how on we got to the point where we are in the current book. There is also a very general lack of descriptive detail on the characters making it difficult to envision the scenes that the author is attempting to lay out. That being said, the editing of Heartaches 3 is well done, except at one point where a character name mistake happens during a key point in the storyline.

There is a bit of sexual context, however, is it done tastefully and not overly explicit to an unaware reader. If you suffer from certain types of PTSD you may want to avoid this book due to the talk about rape being prevalent throughout the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance, however, I would recommend reading the first two books in the series before jumping into this adventure.

As a standalone book, I would rate Heartaches 3, 1 out of 4 stars. This is largely due to the complete lack of backstory and missing descriptive detail on what characters and their surroundings look like. I felt very stranded in attempting to picture everything the author is trying to convey and was left with a wondering of how we got to this point in the storyline. Overall, the plot did feel like it had promise and the story was nicely written, but the lack of keeping the reader "in the know" made my journey reading this book more difficult than entertaining at times.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Swiftmover07's review? Post a comment saying so!
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I have also read and reviewed this book. Your opinions on the book are also enlightening as I was not smart enough to track them when reading the book. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”