Review by slub69 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
slub69
Favorite Book: Becoming the Dragon
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slub69.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review by slub69 -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by slub69 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon, the dragon inside
By
Alex Sapegin

Summary

Andy a mid teenager, stumbles into a scientific experiment, and gets sent into another world where everything changes, from meeting mysterious creatures, dealing with changes within himself, and ultimately being reborn as a King of the clouds.

Review

Up to this point the only novels I have read that contain dragons within the story line are Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, Tolkien and George RR Martin’s Game of Thrones series, of which only Paolini’s series had Dragons as main characters within the story-line, so not a lot of background reading to draw upon for reviewing this novel.

Sapegin builds the background and life of Andy from the get-go, interweaving his home life, siblings and parents around Andy’s interests and friendships, we find a young man who has already experienced a near death experience, has a healthy appetite for learning and is prepared to do whatever is needed to get by on his terms, and early on we see a strong family connection, helping with his younger siblings when needed, and running errands. Sapegin builds these connections to create a character that I had an understanding and empathy for from the get-go, this kept me engaged with the story line, it is very rare I will find myself just reading one book at a time, I usually have a few of different genres on the go simultaneously, I must give this book a score of 4 out of 4 stars as it was one of those rare books.

I believe the novel will appeal to fantasy fans of all ages, though probably aimed at the young adult range, I found enough within it to recommend it to any fan of the fantasy genre.

I found the book to have a good level of complexity and descriptive writing, I particularly enjoyed the rebirth description of the novel, almost actually feeling the sensations of the character and when a storyline gets you that immersed you know you are truly enjoying and relating with the story and characters, and the ending leaves you wanting to know how the story continues.

So to sum up, this is a book I would probably have overlooked if not reviewing it, and that would have been a shame, I would recommend the novel to anyone who reads novels irrespective of whether they usually read within this genre or not, because I feel it has enough to offer to appeal to a wider audience, but for fantasy and Dragon fans it is a must, for me it was a genuine pleasure to read, escaping entirely into the authors world.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like slub69's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”