Review by ChristinaCL -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChristinaCL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinacl.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by ChristinaCL -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by ChristinaCL »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

This illustrated children’s book is a playful story of a young boys smelly book. The author Len Foley uses rhymes and word play to explain to the reader just how smelly the book is, and what events led up to each stain the book has. The story incorporates different family members and animals, situations and materials as causes for the smelliness. In the middle the book switches focus to the boys smelly socks, describing each one and what he thinks they smell like. I see value in describing the socks because it inserts the use of colours so even a toddler could be learning through this fun book. In the end he decides to wash his socks, but you would never guess where he chooses to wash them!

I think one of the best attributes of this books is how graphic it is, with each description it makes you want to cringe or giggle or shake your head or say “peee-eeeew!” I think that children would really enjoy the experience of reading this book because its not just a book, it takes you on a sensory experience! I liked the word to illustration ratio, and I enjoy that the author wrote and illustrated this book. I can imagine reading it with my children and watching their joyful reactions to each description.

What was a downfall for me was some of the “potty” humour. I know some parents would not want to have a book that encourages that humour when children are already so prone to it without the promptings of the book. I feel that would effect who I would recommend the book to, but I do feel that both boys and girls would generally enjoy this children’s read.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found the book to be enjoyable and humorous, I enjoyed the illustrations and the flow of the book and I would recommend it to others. I chose not to rate it a 4 primarily because I don’t think everyone would appreciate some of the “potty” humour.

Overall this book kept me interested, from the alliteration in the title, and the captivating illustrations to how it flowed in a way that kept me turning each page wondering what silly descriptions was next. I thoroughly enjoyed the funny surprise ending, and I really feel like the author has written an experience, not just a book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChristinaCL's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”