Review by Italiansweety1982 -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by Italiansweety1982 -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This review is on the book From Drift to Shift by Jody B. Miller, with a foreword written by Brad Feld. This non-fiction book is about getting thru your struggles, making a shift in your life, and finding happiness and purpose.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a long read but I did enjoy the personal stories included, both from the author’s experiences as well as stories from people she had met. Many times self-help type books feel like they are lecturing you but this one felt more motivating. I liked how at the end of each chapter there was a summary to help bring the information into focus.

The stories provided included people from vastly different lives and situations such as a cancer survivor, a sudden paraplegic, a person born and placed into foster care, a tribe member, and several others. Each has their own story to tell and explain how they made the shift in their own life. We are told to shift to make a change, to look for signs, to remain positive, and to find happiness and purpose in our lives. They explain that drifting is your life going off course and having to shift it into the right direction. We are told to have faith, never give up, continue setting goals, be positive, appreciate life, be empathetic, and believe in yourself.

The book explains why you should shift in your life, when to shift, how to shift, and what to do after your shift. I found the wording amusing but helpful as I kept picturing a racetrack. The winner may veer this way or that way but eventually crosses that finish line. If you are the one shifting, you will be a winner in your life.

This book did seem to drag on longer than necessary. It did contain great advice and moving stories, but the ending kept going after the story was over. There were questions/practices to consider, a sample from the author’s blog, pages of resources, and blank pages for notes. This part is where it seemed more like a guide. I have read books where there were guides and normally the guides are separate where you can work along with them while reading the book. Overall, I enjoyed this book and believe it can help people but the length may be discouraging. If it is read bit by bit during a personal life shift it could work well though.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Italiansweety1982's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”