Review by Shraddha_rc -- White Night by J.J. Holt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Shraddha_rc -- White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Shraddha_rc »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Night by J.J. Holt is a nicely written crime-thriller novel which kept me hooked up to it till the end.

Arriving for her evening shift, Detective Jen Connors hears that she has been assigned a new partner for her next case. She is tough, hard headed, and independent women who has become a pariah after her last case. She hates judgmental views of her colleagues, so she want to stop all their comments by proving herself to be worthy to be in the department. She is eager to get her hands on the ‘Argon’ case, but everyone in the department had given their best to solve it, failing miserably, leading the file of the case to get covered in dust.

Her boss, Captain Reyes, calls her in her office and informs her of her new partner and a case she would be assigned along with her partner. Her partner is an example of a perfect detective, but she never wanted a partner. Unfortunately, she was not allowed to handle this case alone. A murder has happened at a construction site with no witnesses. When the couple reach the site, they get no clue that could get them any close to solving their case. There is no trace except two bullets, a hole on the gate of the fence that surrounds the construction site, resembling a gunshot and a dead body having a hole in his head.

There are a lot of missing pieces to the case. She needs everyone to respect her the way a normal, healthy cop should be respected, but will she get what she wants with a case with no leads and a partner whom, she is suspicious of.

This story covers many points related to a real life of a cop. The dead bodies they have to look at, the areas they have to search to find evidences, the office environment they have to face every day and the families of the dead whom they have to meet to break the news of their loved ones demise. I liked how the author wrote the scenarios of all the situations with so much precision.

The protagonist of the story is suffering from leg injuries. Her struggles and nightmares that follow her in her dreams are well expressed in words. The way she is shown to be strong from outside, but is scared and vulnerable from inside can be felt when I one starts reading it. I was able to imagine the scenarios and what the characters were feeling as the story proceeded.

What I loved about this novel was the mystery that was constant and not disclosed till the last few chapters. It gets difficult to maintain the suspense till the end if a writer gives more clues to the readers, but I found none, until the author disclosed them.

There were no grammatical or spelling errors, which worked in the novel’s favor. Every character was entwined with the story at some point, which left no loose thread or any loophole in the story. The growth of the female protagonist through the story is remarkable and the readers are left feeling her pain or contemplation that takes place inside her brain every time she has to take a decision. I found this way of writing style quite interesting.

The story is written in every characters' point of view which made it easy for me to understand what was going on, as the author changed perspective in almost every chapter, going back and forth between characters and places. It could have gotten confusing due to these many changes, but it didn’t, for which I would like to appreciate the work the author did on this novel.

I’m glad to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an exceptional and a unique story. There was nothing that I disliked. So I would recommend this novel to all the crime-thriller novel lovers. Since it does not have any gore scenes, it can be read by readers of all ages.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Shraddha_rc's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”