Review by meganamberk -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meganamberk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganamberk.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Review by meganamberk -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by meganamberk »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a Children’s picture book written by Len Foley. This is a fun book geared towards an audience of young children. This book is full of colourful and realistic images which Author Len Foley also completed.

This book is about different smells and items that stink. The book takes children on a very entertaining and silly journey about what could possibly be making the book stink. Each page has at least one line that rhymes and shows an image of something that smells on it. This book contains images that Author Len Foley drew as well as images that appear more realistic, such as a photo of a pizza slice or peanut butter stain on the page. These two types of images create a unique and interesting edge to this clever children’s book.

The font throughout the book is a whimsical font that is large and easy to read. On each page there are words that are bolded and in bright colours. These words stand out and enhance the story rather than taking away from it. I feel that the font being large will make it easy for young kids learning to read to do so on their own.

The book is well written and easy to follow and will be a story that keeps children engaged and wondering what smell the next page holds! It is written in a sing song tone with at least one line that rhymes which will be fun for daycares, or kindergarten classes to read together! It is a silly book without a moral or anything to teach and is one that is to be read in fun to insight humour and laughter in children.

With the rhyming language, and fun illustrations I believe children will thoroughly enjoy reading this book with parents, caregivers and friends and will enjoying shouting out the smelly items as they see the vivid illustrations jumping off the page! I read nightly to my four year old and can picture her and her friends laughing and giggling, plugging their noses and saying “eww” all the way through this book!

I give Sigfried's Smelly Socks a 4 out of 4 rating. I did not see any grammatical errors and I found the book engaging and funny and the imagery and font matching to the tone of the story. This is a book I would definitely read to my children and can see them enjoying. I would say that this book is aimed at children ages 3-8 and maybe children even younger who would find the pictures entertaining.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like meganamberk's review? Post a comment saying so!
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I'm glad to hear my kids weren't the only ones trying to smell the book. I really liked how Len Foley was able to keep a child's attention the whole way through. Not all kids books can pull that off. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”