Review by Chi_pego -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chi_pego
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-pego.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Chi_pego -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Chi_pego »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley is a children’s picture book about a variety of awful smelling things that may be in actual fact worse than the smell of dirty socks. It starts by noting that something about the book stinks which we would be lead to immediately assume that its Sigfried’s smelly socks because of the title of the book, but then the author begins to list several possible sources of where the stink could be coming from until we almost forget about the smelly socks. Eventually the author addresses
the smelly socks about half way through the book and describes what each of the different colors of his socks smell like. He then drifts away from the smelly socks and again describes even more smelly things but this time in connection to his Uncle Kato. Will the heart of the matter eventually be addressed and Sigfried’s smelly socks be washed?

I like the author’s clever and creative way of telling the story. It has something of a rhyme pattern that gives the story a captivating style. It makes something as basic as smelly socks interesting and funny to read.

The book has a series of illustrations too that make it original and more engaging, they go an extra mile in to bringing the book to life. The structure of his sentences show the book was well thought out but still managed to maintained a great deal of simplicity which can be very challenging at times. This makes it suitable for a good children’s book, but also gets adults to have a good laugh when reading it too.

Being a children’s book however, I’m not quite sure all the humor and wit will hit home. I know some of it will but I feel a great deal might be lost on them. Also, I think there is the danger of the point of the story being lost at a certain point, however I do realize there is a possibility that it was in the intention of the writer.

I Rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well written and has no grammatical errors. Also it is enjoyable to read and has authentic, colorful and humorous artwork to compliment it. It could be a very good read for children at story time in schools or even something a parent could read to their child at home.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chi_pego's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”