Review by VJohnson0615 -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by VJohnson0615 -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by VJohnson0615 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco is a young adult fantasy novel. The story takes place in an alternate dimension called Azmantium, where magic is part of daily life. It is the first book in a series and lays the groundwork for future stories. The main character, Lara, is excited to be going to magic school. At school, she takes an assessment to learn about the magic she possesses. She also makes three very good friends and a potential future love interest. Lara learns about magic and her destiny.

I enjoyed the premise of this book. I have always gravitated toward stories that are set at special schools. The world building was detailed, but not so painstaking that it took away from the action. The magical elements of the story were well thought out and varied. The plot was well paced and kept my interest.

The author did a good job of giving detail about the characters throughout the book instead of all at once. This helped me stay interested in the story and invested in finding out more about Lara. I also enjoyed the complexity of the plot and how the characters were revealed to be more intertwined than I had previously thought. The slow exposure of information was well done and kept the reader wanting more. The revelation at the end of the book will encourage readers to get the next book in the series.

I did notice quite a few grammatical errors. There were missing commas and an overabundance of ellipses. I found this to be distracting when I was reading the book, as it took away from the story’s natural flow.

I also found some errors within the story. For example, Lara indicated her only knowledge about dragons was from a book she found, but on the next page it talked about her adoptive mother telling her stories about dragons. In the beginning of the story the magic school is called Lantis School of Magic, but on the next page it’s referenced as Lantis Magic School. I found these instances to be minor but still distracting from the story.

Dragon Born was a light and easy read. I enjoyed the setting as well as the characters, however, due to the errors I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy light fantasy stories full of magic and prophesies will certainly enjoy this book. Parents can also rest assured that this book doesn’t contain any adult content, such as adult language, and is perfectly suitable for young readers.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like VJohnson0615's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”