Review by StarkidStarling -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Review by StarkidStarling -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sarah Starling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had the power of the internet in your fingertips? Would you seek all the money and material possessions you could? Travel the world? Try and save the world from itself? In Alex Frayman’s novel Superhighway, you get to experience the main character Alex Fine decide what to do with his newfound power.

In Superhighway, Alex, an orphan in Los Angeles, discovers he has the ability to travel through and manipulate the internet just by touching a network cable. He makes the decision to travel, steal from the rich and give to the poor, and eventually goes on a power trip. He seduces all the women he meets and flexes his newly created bank account. Eventually his world starts to unravel as he learns the truth about his powers.

This novel was a very interesting read, I was always thinking “What would I do in this situation?” and I’m not actually sure. The storyline was unique and Alex was a realistic and likable protagonist to follow. When you start to get bored of him being a generic rich boy in the beginning of the novel, he delves into the past and you learn about how he got his ability and the history of the science. I loved how he tried to be a modern Robin Hood by robbing terrorist organizations and corrupt corporations and donating the money to different organizations and individuals.

My main, and only, critique of the novel is the characters and story seemed like a teenage boy’s wet dream. There are 4 women characters with any part in the novel, 3 of which become Alex’s love interests. The book did not even come close to passing the Bechdel Test. All of the women Alex meets immediately fall into bed or love with him, even when he does nothing for them and has no real world experience with dating or hook-ups. I would have liked this book even more if there were strong, female characters throughout the book.

Superhighway was an enjoyable read with a unique storyline. I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. This would be a great novel for anyone looking for an interesting modern sci-fi novel that doesn’t mind reading a book through the eyes of a stereotypical teenage boy. The book was well edited, I only found a couple of little mistakes. I would have given it 4 stars if there was a more diverse cast of characters and more realistic relationships. I’m excited to read the next books in the series to see what trouble and adventures Alex gets into next.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like StarkidStarling's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I appreciate the fact that the book as well edited.There are not many of such books. Great review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a very interesting plot. Good point when it comes to the women. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I also love a book with a strong female character.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”