Review by pinchess07 -- Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Review by pinchess07 -- Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by pinchess07 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna is a hilarious fictional story about Edward Beasley's struggle to rise to stardom. Edward, who prefers to call himself Pomeroy, is not a wide-eyed teenager aspiring to win American Idol. Instead, he is a man who just got out of jail. He's thoroughly convinced that he has what it takes to be a star with his ever-lengthening "Ants In My Pants" song.

Firstly, anyone who wants to read this should know that the book contains a lot of explicit and crude language. Secondly, Pomeroy is a sexist through and through. If you don't mind these two facts, then you are in for a wild ride. Pomeroy has a unique way of thinking. His belief in himself is unshakable. He's 100% sure that all women want him for sex. Admittedly, some people would want to slap some sense into him. As someone who's not easily offended, I took this with a grain of salt. He spends at least half of the book contemplating the various individuals who'd like to have sex with him. As a result, my knowledge of metaphors about sex has expanded dramatically. I, with my juvenile sense of humor, thoroughly enjoyed reading about his thoughts.

Pomeroy has both good and bad luck in spades. This helps and hinders him at the same time. The story is told in his perspective, so of course his decisions are perfectly logical in his opinion. However, the reader knows this isn't always true. For example, he once decides to pee on the stones of a hisorical building in broad daylight. As a character, he is heavily flawed, yet James Hanna somehow makes him hard to hate. Even his parole officer, Jessica Jimenez, can't seem to give up on him. She understands that he's not an evil man. She bears with his flirting with saintly levels of patience, in my opinion.

Pomeroy goes to several countries through the course of the story while on the run from the authorities. All the descriptions of these places are uniquely flavored, since they're all seen through Pomeroy's eyes. The pacing of the story is steady. I enjoyed this so much that the pages seemed to fly by at times as I laugh at Pomeroy's antics.

The editing for this book was flawless, even if Pomeroy prefers to use a lot of slang. I know this story won't sit well with everyone, but I am glad that I gave this story a chance. Call Me Pomeroy deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It did a wonderful job of cheering me up.

Call Me Pomeroy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pinchess07's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

The story sounds hilarious, though loaded with explicit language and scenes. This caveat makes me hesitate to pick it up, though. I know its good once in a while to just read something that will entertain and lit up your spirits. This probably was the author's motive when he wrote this piece. Glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”