Review by Shilpa Paul -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Shilpa Paul -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shilpa Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is an interesting story. Tom, William and Myra are preparing to go camping to Olympic National Park. He intends to visit his grandfather’s grave and return a primitive artefact that he took from the place several decades ago. Ruth, his ex-wife appears at his door step unannounced along with his granddaughter “Sarah”. Tom is shocked as he never knew that he has a granddaughter. Sarah is an orphan, both her parents are dead. She is considered a problem child by people around her. After a lot of arguments, they decide to take Sarah along with them. In the beginning Sarah is agitated to be taken to the trek against her will but slowly she begins to open up and bonds with them.

On the way Sarah happens to see a short faced bear that is believed to be extinct. Except William, no one believes her. At Tom’s grandfathers grave Sarah and Tom have an argument and she storms off in anger. They look for her everywhere but are unable to find her. They take the help of few other surveyors and a massive search is conducted without any success. The search is called off after a week but Tom and William continue to look for her. Sarah appears on the eighth day covered in dirt, smelly and badly injured. She tells a mystical story of her adventure while she was missing. They find the story hard to believe. They also lose the secret artefact.

I liked the bonding between the characters - the friendship between Tom and William, the father – daughter relation between Myra and William and the gradually developing affection between Tom and Sarah. Myra efficiently takes care of both the elderly men through the rough trail as well as bonds with Sarah who is new to them all. She is a strong woman who is proud of her native origin. Sarah is a bold and a strong teenager who doesn’t gives in to her fears or failures. She stands up to all odds and dangers bravely. She not only defends herself but also saves the life of her group when threatened by Buckhorns men.

I found the part very dull and slow moving where Sarah narrates her story. The timeline of her missing and her adventure had me confused. The book has a very sudden end; it stops in the middle of an adventure when the book starts getting interesting.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is professional edited so found no errors. Readers who love reading about family relations, suspense, adventure and prehistoric fiction will enjoy the book.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shilpa Paul's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Nice review! I would enjoy reading more reviews of you.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shilpa Paul

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review. I've read, reviewed, and loved this book and the way it intertwined facts and fiction, history and mystery, as well as tradition and discovery. The second and third books of the series are already on their way, I believe. Thus, the abrupt end of the piece should entice you enough to consider reading the next ones, I suppose.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for delivering a great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Shilpa Paul

Post by Shilpa Paul »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 08:59 Thanks for delivering a great review.
Thanks for taking time to read the review
Shilpa Paul

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Espie wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 06:02 Thank you for your review. I've read, reviewed, and loved this book and the way it intertwined facts and fiction, history and mystery, as well as tradition and discovery. The second and third books of the series are already on their way, I believe. Thus, the abrupt end of the piece should entice you enough to consider reading the next ones, I suppose.
Thanks. Would love to read all the books of the series
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This book has stayed with me for much longer than I would have expected. There is something about it.

But I agree totally that Sarah's story doesn't work - just too long and, as you say, dull.

Great review :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”