Review by Jmar_la -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Jmar_la -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jmar_la »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a wonderful and unique book about women who are skilled flyfishers in the sport of fly fishing. Each has learned the sport, loved it, and so they come together with especially this one thing in common. The girls gather at Rose's cabin situated above the rocky shores of the Arkansas River and it has been the place where these gatherings are enjoyed as much as possible. The girls are not only good fly fishers, but they are also best friends being there for each other through thick and thin, and also for their families. The story tells of what each of the women means to the other as they share their lives so intimately as friends. They come together not only to fish but to get away from the rat race of the everyday craziness. Although they love their husbands, their children, their jobs, there is something so special about getting together with these special friends.

I loved this book because it was such an unusual subject matter and told so well about women fly fishers. I liked especially that the author wrote about how fly fishing gave them a commonality as they came together and developed friendships that endure. Although they were different ages, it wasn't a factor because of their love for fly fishing. They could share their joys, and sorrows in a loving group and know that they are loved and cared about. I liked the way the author wrote her novel in which each woman was given a chapter and as observers, we can get to know each woman through her own thoughts and activities and through whom we get to know the other women in the group.

As I began reading the book I found it was written mostly in present tense due to the fact that the author wrote about the character's own thoughts and perspective in real time. The relationship these women had is so special and we long for that kind of friendship which, in reality, is sometimes difficult to find and experience. Through this book, I learned a lot about fly fishing and how popular a sport it really is among women. I learned there are clubs all over the country dedicated to women fly fishers; quite surprising for me. I gave the book a 4 out of 4 stars because of the lovely writing and the unique subject matter. At the beginning of each chapter, the author quoted from men and women who had written books in the past on fly fishing.

What did I like least about the book? I cannot think of anything. As I stated before, how the author chose to write the book took a little getting used to, but I quickly became accustomed to it and had no problems getting into the story.

This book would probably not appeal to someone who wants to read a good mystery, crime, action, or thriller. Nor would it appeal to someone who wants to read a good romance, or even someone looking for a good science fiction story. It would, however, appeal to readers who would enjoy a good book to curl up with in front of the fire; who would enjoy a well written, well-developed, thoughtful story. It would also appeal to those who love fishing or fly fishing and spending time with good friends.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jmar_la's review? Post a comment saying so!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It seems like this book opens up a new world to realize that there are women who like to go fly fishing. I have only tried it once. It is not an easy thing to do. I like how you mentioned that the women were of different ages, but came together with a common interest. It should be interesting to read a book in the present tense of each of the women's viewpoints.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”