Review by JR Mercier -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Review by JR Mercier -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Fine returns for the second installment of the Superhighway Trilogy. Battling his inner demons, drug addiction, and the government, Alex finds himself in Vegas married with a baby on the way. Is the past doomed to be repeated or will Alex beat the vicious cycle of having to abandon all he cares about?

I harboured such high hopes for Superhighway 2. In my first review, I mentioned my love for the idea electroportation and that it was the main reason for the high rating I gave the first book. With all the problems the first book presented, I held out. I had hope that Alex would gain maturity and grow out of the hormonal teenager phase.

Alas, I was disappointed. The first couple of chapters offered a ray of hope with Alex questioning his actions. He even displays some real wisdom. A quote from the book that had me super excited was, “I stole the money, and in turn, it stole my common sense.”

I was fist pumping and I was genuinely delighted. I wanted this to succeed so much. But then the dreadful hormones kicked in again. I was left reading pages and pages of Alex spending money, getting high, and falling in love/lust with every woman he meets. And still, I held on, my fists clenched in hope. I knew this book would span a couple of years and I was praying that age would bring forth better characters and some maturity.

Alex is in his 30’s when the book ends. Yet he is still the same kid that stole billions of dollars, that slept with every woman he could get his hands on, and that was hiding his extravagant spending habits behind a veneer of ‘I am a philanthropist’.

I don’t even want to start on how the women are written. Alex finally starts appreciating Mrs. Jenkins, but it felt shallow. The women were, again, all written as objects of 'sensual appeal'. Even Yana, an integral part of the book, was reduced to her looks and nothing more. If you don’t want to put in the effort to write a real, human female character then rather don’t write one at all.

I want to be kinder to this book. If you have read my first review, then it will be obvious how much I loved the premise and how lenient I was. The writing is good, and I enjoyed the few parts that dealt with science fiction and action. It’s clearly professionally edited, and I only found about three minor writing errors. But I cannot excuse the way the women are written or Alex Fine’s selfish and immature actions.

I rate Superhighway 2 1 out of 4 stars. I honestly don’t like publishing a negative review, but I do not recommend this book to anyone.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love how bluntly honest you are in your review. Sorry this book disappointed you. I also hate it when female characters are used merely for satisfying the nymphomaniac tendencies of the male protagonists. The author should have known better if he wanted his female audiences to love his book. Great review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The book cover looks really interesting. Shame the book ended up disappointing.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Great review! Sounds like this second instalment was unable to overcome the problems I had with the first book, which is a shame because I normally love science fiction.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Fuzaila wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 09:48 I love how bluntly honest you are in your review. Sorry this book disappointed you. I also hate it when female characters are used merely for satisfying the nymphomaniac tendencies of the male protagonists. The author should have known better if he wanted his female audiences to love his book. Great review!
Thank you for that. I don't like giving bad reviews - I will rather try to focus on the good parts but I just couldn't with Superhighway 2. And there are SO MANY female readers. It's just ignorant to belittle that whole demographic. Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

prospero360 wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 11:10 The book cover looks really interesting. Shame the book ended up disappointing.
It is! And the powers that Alex Fayman introduced were so interesting to me but alas, I can't overlook the female demographic. Thanks for commenting.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

meadhbh wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 17:38 Great review! Sounds like this second instalment was unable to overcome the problems I had with the first book, which is a shame because I normally love science fiction.
I feel exactly the same. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I'm a little impressed that you picked up the second book. After reading the first Superhighway, I wasn't the least bit interested in reading this one, even though I agree it had an awesome premise. It's a shame that there was still no character development and maturity. He even ends up married but still sleeps with everyone he comes across? Extremely disappointing.
Thanks for the great review - it seems like it was more enjoyable to read than this book :)
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you so much for a eye opening review regarding this book which do not focus so much on gender equality even though it was written well and may not go well with all the readers.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 09:55 I'm a little impressed that you picked up the second book. After reading the first Superhighway, I wasn't the least bit interested in reading this one, even though I agree it had an awesome premise. It's a shame that there was still no character development and maturity. He even ends up married but still sleeps with everyone he comes across? Extremely disappointing.
Thanks for the great review - it seems like it was more enjoyable to read than this book :)
:lol2: :lol2: Thank you for that. I wanted so much for this to work but it did not. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

What a shame! Such a brilliant premise reduced to a shallow indulgence-fest. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a disappointment ! It's depressing that this book should have such major downsides to it. You spared me the hesitation of deciding whether to pick it for review or not. I appreciate your candid review. Thanks. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 03:23 What a shame! Such a brilliant premise reduced to a shallow indulgence-fest. Great review.
Couldn't have said it better.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 11:04 What a disappointment ! It's depressing that this book should have such major downsides to it. You spared me the hesitation of deciding whether to pick it for review or not. I appreciate your candid review. Thanks. :tiphat:
Thank you so much! I was also hesitant but the curiousity got the best of me. It's a shame when it had so much potential.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”