Review by Cotwani -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A 2011 survey examining consumer attitudes towards purchasing children’s books reveals that close to 80% of the book purchases are not planned. Of these, 40% are pure impulse! It is almost as if R. D. Base was targeting this enormous proportion of children’s books purchasers in Toni the Superhero! To begin with, she ensures she captures the attention of her audience by a captivating cover picture of a happy Tony in his superhero outfit, with his paraphernalia. Next, she sustains her audience’s attention by fast-tracking Toni’s fun-filled ordinary activities. Being an educational children’s book, the book dwells on life lessons that reinforce positive habits in young children.

In this debut book of what R. D Base intends to be a series, the focus is on the ‘behind the scenes’ character of the superhero Toni. In a happy, casual tone coupled with colorful apt illustrations, R. D guides the reader through some of Toni’s mundane daily activities, in a way that would appeal to toddlers and young children. These activities include cleaning up the room and eating vegetables -activities notorious for eliciting tantrums when young children are accosted by them! However, it’s not just unpleasant chores that Toni tackles with his ever-present smile! The reader also encounters him happily engaging in play, reading, dancing and many other activities that are bound to make a child’s day fun.

The book is specifically designed for children learning to read, which naturally points to the 2 - 7 age group. Children in this age group are attracted by brightly colored pictures of simple objects. They also love simple texts with effective word repetition and enjoy objects and experiences that are familiar to them. Toni the superhero scores highly on each of these aspects. The illustrations by Debbie Hefke are not only colorful but also complement the story. Toni’s adventures are relayed in simple sentences, one sentence per page. Each sentence is followed by an illustration that depicts the mentioned activity in a memorable format. The first part of every sentence in most of the story is repetitive with only the verb changing on successive pages. This repetition boosts word recognition abilities, an important ingredient in the early stages of learning to read. At this stage, children are learning phonics and developing the ability to read common sight words. Frequent parental or teacher read-alouds to toddlers also heightens this. Toni, the main character in the book, is easily recognizable in each illustration by his colorful superhero outfit, and radiant smile. Children in the target age group are very impressionable and love superheroes. They will easily identify with the activities Toni engages in because these activities are familiar to them. They will very likely want to emulate Toni.

I’m not a child. Neither was I reading the book aloud to one! Nevertheless, I truly enjoyed following Toni on his 20-page non-superhero action journey. I loved the vivid illustrations of his non-stop activities. There was no doubt that he was having fun throughout the story. I particularly found the illustration of him rescuing a cat while reading a book at the same time quite funny. I only wish the book had more of Toni’s superhero activities, to affirm to the children that he really is a superhero. But then again, maybe the lack thereof, of much superhero action provides an opportunity for the child or parent to create his/her own superhero stunts for Toni.

In addition to everything already discussed, I was impressed by the book’s logical flow of activities. I, therefore, believe that Toni the superhero deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I recommend it to parents of children learning to read, and also to adults who, like me, enjoy reading children books! You may fall in the 39% children’s books purchasers who plan to buy a book but are not decided on which book to buy. You may be in the purely impulsive 40% category. You could even be amongst the 20% who have not only planned to buy a children's book but know exactly which book it's going to be! Whatever the case, I urge you to give this book a try! By the way, the mentioned survey can be found at Bowker or at https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... -want.html

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, and you’re right, this book has great shelf appeal.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Helen_Combe wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 02:57 Great review, and you’re right, this book has great shelf appeal.
Yes it does! Thanks for stopping by, and for your feedback!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Yes, this book provides excellent flow of Toni's activities. I really liked you cited a consumer survey. Of course most of the children's books purchases are impulse not planned. Sometimes, the colorful illustrations alone attract buyers to purchase a particular book. Thanks for your thought provoking review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review! I read this one too and thought it was a wonderful children's book. I would love to meet Toni in person!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Studying the book market sure is a great way of making a book look good. I enjoyed your review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You are a book author and publisher's dream reviewer, Cotwani! You just didn't appeal to the aesthetic and emotional sides of your prospective readers, but made it a point to resonate enough sense and reason to tickle the logical and methodical thinking parts of their psyche. I don't have a kid well within the recommended target age group for the piece, but you've provided enough reason for parents, educators or collectors of the genre to check this one out.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 10:02 Yes, this book provides excellent flow of Toni's activities. I really liked you cited a consumer survey. Of course most of the children's books purchases are impulse not planned. Sometimes, the colorful illustrations alone attract buyers to purchase a particular book. Thanks for your thought provoking review.
Thanks Sarah for stopping by and for your positive feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Dael Reader wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 14:05 Nice review! I read this one too and thought it was a wonderful children's book. I would love to meet Toni in person!
Indeed it would be a treat to have the story on video! Thanks for reading and giving feedback. I appreciate.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:51 You are a book author and publisher's dream reviewer, Cotwani! You just didn't appeal to the aesthetic and emotional sides of your prospective readers, but made it a point to resonate enough sense and reason to tickle the logical and methodical thinking parts of their psyche. I don't have a kid well within the recommended target age group for the piece, but you've provided enough reason for parents, educators or collectors of the genre to check this one out.
Wow Espie, thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. I appreciate!
-Walt Disney
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review! I love to read children's' books and ponder over how effective it would be for kids to read the book. And I love that you included the survey about impulse buying books. Thank you for your review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love your writing. You have such a soothing tone and I love your take on this book. I also loved the research you did. :D
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

JR Mercier wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 06:11 I love your writing. You have such a soothing tone and I love your take on this book. I also loved the research you did. :D
Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking time to read and comment on my review.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Fuzaila wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 01:33 Great review! I love to read children's' books and ponder over how effective it would be for kids to read the book. And I love that you included the survey about impulse buying books. Thank you for your review :)
Thanks for stopping by Fuzaila. Like you I find children books a great comic relief!
-Walt Disney
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I love the analysis bit of the consumer behaviour and attitude towards buying the children's books.
Thanks for a great review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”