Review by bmiller17 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brianna Miller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-miller.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by bmiller17 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Brianna Miller »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a children’s book that encourages the yucky humor of every 7-year-old to rise to the surface. The story follows a boy named Sigfried as he explains where every stain and smell in his book came from.

Sigfried’s character is ridiculous but also completely relatable. At one point he mentions dropping peanut butter and jelly on a page of his book and I immediately had flashbacks to all of the times I have dropped food onto novels after convincing myself that I “would be careful”. This reminder of my own grossness made me chuckle.

I loved all of the goofy drawings in the story, the eyes expressive and bulging in a way that screams “I am alive!”

While the cute rhymes and cartoons left me with a smile on my face, there were a few moments that left me shaking my head. At times the rhythm of the lines seemed off, particularly on the first page which sets up a nice beat until the last line, “Something stinks about this book. Go on and take a whiff. It’s a terrible smell as I’m sure you can tell... But do you have any idea what it is?” The playful tone and sing-songy sound seems to fall flat at the last minute, taking on a more direct prose.

Another aspect of the book that I found strange was the use of both photos and cartoon-like pictures. Mixing these images made me slightly uncomfortable, which could very well be the point in a book so focused on disgust, but it also gives off a less professional vibe. However, I doubt a child would care much either way and that is the intended audience.

Anyone who is completely opposed to bathroom humor or who wants a specific moral to be obviously present in a children’s book will not be interested in Sigfried’s Smelly Socks, but if your children still laugh at farts and could benefit from seeing how to spell words that they use on a regular basis, this is the book for you.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because although the sometimes awkward rhythm and realistic pictures made me cringe, the overall idea is a lighthearted laugh at the natural dirtiness of children and I could see myself cracking up with a giggling toddler as we read about the gross things these pages have endured. The book is not perfect in my eyes, but it is enjoyable, a great read for a silly, growing brain.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bmiller17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review Brianna! I found the interlacing of photography with the illustrations quite enjoyable, but I can see why it might have made you uncomfortable.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Having reviewed Sigfried's Smelly Socks, I can totally identify with what you feel about it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Please feel free to have a look at my review, if you'd like.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78846

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”