Review by daniya__shah3 -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Review by daniya__shah3 -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for...

Post by daniya__shah3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kids have a naive mind and media such as cartoon series, books and dramas play a major role in diverting their attention to the right track while educating them about various issues.

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace is an illustrated story by Julie Penshorn aimed at teaching its young readers about peacemaking strategies in a conflicting situation. The tale is about a group of animals stuck in a terrifying storm, furious at the king for seating himself in the most secure place without ensuring the safety of his kingdom. This group is then guided by Mrs. McCloud, who helps them in resolving the issue by teaching them how to control their emotions and think rationally.

The key feature of this tale lies in its characterisation technique. The characters are animals and in my opinion, introducing values to kids through the medium of animals and nature is a great idea since children are easily captivated by animals. I like how this simple story stands as a mentor program directed at helping kids keep their emotions in check and stay calm while valuing arguments in a situation. It provides an appropriate strategy for kids to balance their thoughts while evaluating various points in a circumstance. This strategy is called 'STOP', which is an abbreviation for:
S: Stop and breathe
T: Tell how you feel
O: Open your mind
P: Plan a deal
I like how the author has developed the character of Mrs. McCloud, the owl. She takes place of a supportive mentor and teaches other animals that jumping to conclusions does not solve a problem, compromising and addressing your point does. This highlights the dangers of assumption and presents the idea of asking. The message which can be deduced from this idea is that being straightforward can save a lot of time and energy and will more likely reap a favorable outcome.

I must admit that I loved the myriad of thought-provoking themes presented throughout the story. The theme of brainstorming essentially promotes development of ideas in young minds. The book encourages patience and peacemaking ideas through the means of an engaging rhyme. It also emphasizes how adults should validate the thoughts of their kids and presents ideas for mentoring sessions along with activities and interesting games.

Apart from this, I was truly impressed by Jorry's illustrations. Her art style was properly defined by shadows and highlights. I loved the choice of colour palettes, they made the illustrations look more appealing. The illustrations were compelling enough to captivate young readers and hook them to the story. I'm sure the art is bound to make its readers feel connected to the story. It is more likely going to catch hold of children who might be inclined towards art.

I am going to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book is not only recommended for kids, but also for parents since it provides situational education and a guide to adapt oneself and help others in a difficult situation.

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like daniya__shah3's review? Post a comment saying so!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Shafia16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shafia16 »

I liked the observations about the art style. A review generally covers only the opinions related to the text and not the illustrations. Great review!
zk42011
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zk42011 »

I love the way you have discussed the themes present in the book. Great review! You've got amazing writing skills.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a really cute story that will engage kids while teaching them at the same time. I love the STOP strategy too! Great review!
mideayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by mideayo »

I liked the observations about the art
style. I love the
STOP strategy too! Great review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I like that there are lessons for parents as well as children. I was curious as to why STOP is all capitalized in the title, and now I know. This sounds like a very useful and entertaining story.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really informative read! Thank you for the amazing review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. Thanks for the informative review.
Please feel free to have a look at my review of the same book, if you'd like.
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=81691

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”