Review by sgb87 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sgb87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgb87.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by sgb87 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by sgb87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is an entertaining read that attempts, and succeeds to some extent, to blend dangerous yakuza assassins, heart-thumping intrigue, and a love story all on the lavishly-described decks of a the cruise ship Starfish.

The story follows the highly trained assassin Akira, a beautiful young Japanese woman who previously trained to be a geisha before circumstances put her in the clutches of a yakuza gang boss… a boss who is now sending her on a cruise to determine if a middle-aged British couple, Paul and Sara Lyons, is responsible for the death of his sister.

To fulfill her obligation, and to confirm that the Lyons are guilty before she kills them, Akira sets her sights on Devon Lloyd, the nephew Paul Lyons, as a target for seduction to keep close to the family and learn their secrets. Devon – on the cruise against his will, still nursing heartache from a broken relationship three years prior, and drinking too much – falls fast and hard for the seemingly sweet, innocent, and gorgeous Akira Hamada.

If this wasn’t enough, additional menace breaks out on the cruise as people begin to die aboard the ship. At first the deaths seem like suicides, but Akira doesn’t trust that simple explanation. As Akira tries to unravel the mystery of the deaths surrounding her, she begins to fear for her own life, certain that somebody is playing with her.

Despite the desperate state of affairs aboard the Starfish, I think the real mystery that will keep readers turning the pages is whether what Akira claims to feel for Devon is all part of her plan to milk him for information, or if this heart-hardened woman is actually falling in love and remembering what it feels like to even dream about the possibility of a life of freedom. Indeed, it was not so much of a mystery as it was frustration. Devon Lyons is the only character that I felt a reader truly gets to know and understand; when it came to Akira and her feelings towards him, I felt too much during the beginning of their relationship was focused on Devon’s falling in love with her, without any of the inner confusion someone in Akira’s position must have been feeling. Was she using him, and did she feel guilty? Or did she not care at all at first?

This book earns 2 out of 4 stars from me not only because of this annoyance but also because as I read, I continued to feel as though I was missing references to characters’ past histories that I should have known. I know this is the fourth book in a series, so it does not surprise me. I only wish the author had expanded on a few of those background moments that would have made certain actions relatable or at least more understandable. That, and over-all this book was nothing special that wowed me. Overall, however, I’d recommend this to anyone who wants a light entertaining read full of adventure, glamour, passion, and mystery.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sgb87's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”