Review by nikkyteewhy -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Review by nikkyteewhy -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by nikkyteewhy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice is a book written by Van Fleisher. It is a realistic fiction book that takes place in the United States. It addresses a pressing issue the United States is faced with presently. A group of scientists invents a device that resembles a watch for monitoring heart rates during exercises. It turns out this device can do much more than that. The device can give full medical diagnostics. It has a feature called the final notice that can tell when the wearer is going to die. This device initially seemed like a brilliant idea because there would be no incidence of sudden deaths due to health issues. The doctors will be notified about the deteriorating health of their patients. The wearer of the watch can make final arrangements, settle his or her will, say goodbye to their loved ones. Things get complicated when some people after receiving their final notice notification decide their final arrangements involve murder and getting revenge. Meanwhile, the NRA has increased their sales of guns and given a discount to senior citizens. This leads to mass shootings and suicides.

Vince Fuller, a senior citizen, ponders about purchasing a gun after he was attacked by a younger man. His wife, Trudy, seemed to be against obtaining a gun initially until Vince is attacked by a vicious dog. They befriended a couple who happens to be hard-working and decent immigrants. This couple, who were Syrian immigrant often, discusses the unfair way some white Americans treat immigrants and other races. Americans seemed to have an insatiable appetite for weapons. It was observed that NRA was a law unto itself and wielded too much power. The government can barely do anything to stop the NRA or the sale of guns to anyone since they have many politicians on their payroll. They make different decisions to stand against the NRA.

This book is a narration told in the 3rd person point of view. The author shifts the narration to 2nd person point of view at a point which was funny. I admire the author for pointing out sensitive issues. He points out the way crimes and murder seemed to be growing in the United States. I also believe this has become a national concern. He believes the Second Amendment Law is abused, and I fully agree with him. Van Fleisher, the author, also points out to dishonorable manner senior citizens are treated in the United States and no one seemed to care. The discriminatory treatment of immigrants and minor races in the United States is discussed. There is a change in the characters view towards gun control. He discusses the corruption in the politics of the United States from the level of the presidency to the state senate. The book ended with fifteen questions for book club which I found interesting to answer.

I could not virtually discover any aspect I did not like in this book. Initially, I felt the final notice feature on the watch was the problem. I then realized doctors also give “final notices” to their terminal patients who want to know their prognosis. I believe everyone should be responsible for their actions and not blame a system created to help them.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book seems to be edited professionally. I did not find any error while reading the book. The writing style is simple and easy to understand. The book relates to sensitive issues in the United States of America. I would recommend this book to people who do not like guns (anti-gun). I believe people who like guns will be offended reading this book. In addition to these, there are some violent acts like the mass shooting at the senior resident home, killing many senior citizens and school shooting killing children and teachers. Those sensitive to these issues should maybe avoid this book.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nikkyteewhy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like the themes that the author brings out in the story especially the issue of gun control in the U.S and racism. Thanks for the detailed review.
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Juliet Muia wrote: 26 May 2018, 00:22 I like the themes that the author brings out in the story especially the issue of gun control in the U.S and racism. Thanks for the detailed review.
Yes me too, I remember shouting Yes! a lot while reading this book. Thanks for your comment.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I also read (and reviewed) this one. You gave it a higher rating than I did, but I agree with your comments. This book certainly is timely for the U.S. and I hope a lot of people will read it.

Thanks for a great review.
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

dtb wrote: 26 May 2018, 13:27 I also read (and reviewed) this one. You gave it a higher rating than I did, but I agree with your comments. This book certainly is timely for the U.S. and I hope a lot of people will read it.

Thanks for a great review.
Thank you for the comments, I'm glad you agree.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”