Review by Ada4nathan -- Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Ada4nathan -- Trip to Adele

Post by SereneCharles »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Trip to Adele" by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip To Adele

We all have different cravings, but there is one peculiar to all humans despite their age, race, or sex: freedom. That is the major theme in the book: My Trip To Adele. Written by Ahmad and Rana Alyaseer, it is a book about few main characters in three different settings. The authors were inspired to write this book based on their trip to Adele's concert in Verona, Italy.

First, we learn about Elias who lives in Rome, Italy, and who believes he needs to go back to his hometown, Marrakesh, to find himself or better still find his long-lost lover Malika. While in Marrakesh he discovers that Malika left El-Fnaa Square where they met eight years ago, but still held on to the memory they shared. He learns she will be attending Adele's concert in Verona, and he leaves for Italy. Unfortunately, he finds a changed Malika, the English Malika, and tells her he is still looking for the Malika he met eight years ago in Marrakesh. They part ways again.

However, somewhere in Las Vegas, USA, Yaser, and Mariam are at the breaking point in their marriage. They seek the help of Dr. Brown, a marriage counselor who tries to help them revive a once cherished memory, but they can’t remember any. Yaser suggests they go to Adele's concert in Verona and listen to Adele sing since her song was what he played when he proposed to Mariam. Mariam rejects the idea but later agrees on making the trip. Yaser at this point is no longer sure he wants to revive any memory, so he backs out. He tells her there is nothing to revive. Eventually, Yaser realizes his place is with Mariam and their kids, and that Mariam herself is the memory he’s been trying to revive.

Meanwhile, Amman, Jordan, holds the story of Nadia, a divorcee. Strong at heart, she believes it is not right to be bound to someone in the name of love while she feels trapped and imprisoned. She has been in court many times fighting for her freedom and her son, Waleed, both of who live together happily now. But she soon discovers her freedom is limited when Waleed is denied traveling with her to Verona for a concert (Adele's concert). She is caught in-between staying back with her son and sticking to her rights as a free woman and making the trip alone. At the last minute, she decides she will rather be with her son and accept her limited freedom.

Personally, I’ll describe ‘My Trip To Adele' as a realistic fiction, because even though it is fiction, it is a story that can actually happen and is true to real life. It centers on gaining freedom, something every human desire. The characters come to life as you read on and you can totally relate to their feelings and wants. I think it will appeal to people who are trying to find their purpose in life and to those who feel trapped maybe by their job, marriage, or whatever else it may be, and just want to be free from them.

I like this book because even though the three stories didn’t join at the end (like I’ve seen in some books), the plot is still perfect and each chapter defines and explains the title and theme of the book. The storyline is continued and very organized. Not to forget is the way quotes from Adele's songs fitted the story of each chapter. They couldn’t fit better. Other than suspense which the book definitely has, it also contains pop-up surprises; for example, when Nadia learned that her son was actually at her ex-husband's third wedding instead of another ceremony as she was made to believe; and also when the book mentioned Yaseer's phone relationship with Isabelle, despite being portrayed as one who would not easily give in to infidelity. These made the book captivating and fascinating.

I especially like the authors’ sense of humor amidst the challenges the characters faced. It shows the authors believe we can still find happiness, even if it’s a little, despite existing problems. I seriously admire the authors' description of God as the one we can look up to for solutions and answers when things go wrong; as the one who gives the strength to endure difficult circumstances. The book made it obvious that faith in Him is necessary to our very existence. The use of God in this limelight is seen in the three stories. Nevertheless, this may be a turn-off for atheists. They may not find a book that promotes faith in an almighty being a motivating and interesting read. But then, I believe everyone has someone or something they see as their source of existence, as their god. So, it could still be intriguing to them.

I was a little disappointed to see the book describe sin in such a way that it seems the only way to have pleasure. I believe in pleasure, but I dislike the way the authors linked it to sin. Not everyone would agree with that. I noticed a lot of diversions too from the main story, but I must say I really admire how the authors still used these deviations to complement each story. Not a lot of people will know how to find their way back to their story after a deviation, however, if a reader is not focused, they could easily be carried away by these. There were typos, but they are very few and insignificant to affect the book in a major way. Also, the authors’ frequent use of magic and spells in one of the settings was a turn-off for me. Not everyone believes in these things.

I totally enjoyed reading this book, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The authors wrote what we can relate to, and it was properly and professionally edited. I didn’t give it 3 stars because the authors did better than that. The storyline was continuous and properly arranged.

This book will appeal to 18-35-year-olds who lack the courage to pursue their desires and whatever will bring them freedom. Anyone can enjoy reading it, but children will find it the least appealing.

Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ada4nathan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Clairenova4ever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clairenova4ever »

I love this review and will definitely encourage this fantastic read to anyone.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

Thanks a lot, Claire.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

It's my first review. It might not look very professional, but I'm still very excited about it. I'll make the needed changes in my next review, which is currently underway.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm not sure how I feel about the separate stories that don't end up coming together, but who knows, maybe it works for this book. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for a great review!
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:

Post by SereneCharles »

Thanks for stopping by, Sabradley. I enjoyed reading it, and I saw the story not joining at the end as its' own variety.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”