Review by Farmgurl1 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nataliewang
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review by Farmgurl1 -- Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by nataliewang »

This book is definitely all kinds of witty -- the meaningful dialogue between the two friends and the protagonist's relationship with her mother transforms what could've been a very serious and dark topic into a good find for even younger readers.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Very good review. I read the 1st few chapters and enjoyed the suspense and as you said, the humor in the story. Thank you and I can't wait to read the ending that you said has a "great plot twist".
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This story reminds me of the 'Liberty Too - The Cost of Keeping Secrets. I hope that Jennifer will be able to exonerate her mother and find her father's killer. Thank you for an insightful review of this book.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I love reading stories that have a good blend of murder and humor. I think the ability to take dark subject matter and turn it into humor is a sign of an author who is truly gifted. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Quite an intriguing book. I love it when authors blend crime thriller novels with good humor. The author did a great job...
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

Normally a murder mystery novel is serious and dark, but this one incorporates a bit of fun that I think I will enjoy greatly. I'd love to know who actually murdered Jennifer's dad.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Empress Shanti
Currently Reading:

Post by Empress Shanti »

Me too! I actually liked the story, I read the sample and wanted to continue reading. It was clear and straightforward. It wouldn't allow me to download the full book for free though.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Honestly, I thought that this would be a romance based on the cover, but I was surprised to find out that it was a crime novel. Good to hear that it's light and fun to read. Nice review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! I like that the book is light-hearted and have a lot of laugh-out-loud moments between Jennifer and Kat when they come up with different schemes to unmask the killer. However, I feel like this combination doesn't suit a crime thriller. I think I'll have to pass on this despite it having a great plot twist.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

would have chosen to read the book because the cover is really inviting. Having read the review and the sample, I definitely would read the whole book because the drama it entails is full of suspense and entertainment. Jennifer works tirelessly to clear her mother's name as the number one suspect for poisoning her father (Jennifer's father). Jennifer is seen taking the role of a determined investigator and works more than the actual investigators assigned the case do. Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Surprised to hear this was written in a lighthearted way, since the circumstances do not seem very light at all. Interesting concept and premise for a crime thriller! Sounds very readable, and I do also love plot twists. I think I'll enjoy this one a lot.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I'm intrigued by the idea of a suspense novel laced with humor. I'll definitely want to read the book after reading this interesting review. Thank you! congratulations on BOTD.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Empress Shanti
Currently Reading:

Post by Empress Shanti »

Happy! I was able to download the entry book. I'm definitely going to continue reading this tonight. I'm very interested, the first three chapters get you interested in wanting to continue the read. Great start, I'm sure the ending will be as well.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I like when thrillers are written in a lighthearted way. I'm adding this to my TBR list. So happy it was free today.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I would definitely have to read the first book before this one, but it sounds like a great book. Sounds like a lot of plot twists as well, and always good when you get an ending that you are not expecting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”