Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga...

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is a sci-fi young adult book that follows an alien named Rynah with her ship and AI, Solaris. Rynah is betrayed and her planet is thrown into chaos when her former fiance, Klanor, with steals the planet’s crystal. Rynah teams up with Solaris who brings together the four heroes of prophecy to find the other crystals and put a stop to the destruction of many other planets. Will the heroes, despite the many differences between them, find all the crystals before Klanor, stop him from destroying other planets, and save Rynah’s own people?

I enjoyed bright colors that Janet McNulty uses in her imagery throughout the book. The vivid colors in the imagery often reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy. The writing style was always fast paced, switching to different points of view, that also reminded me of a how a movie generally plays out.

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the book overall. Despite being fast paced, and switching to different points of view, it was very haphazardly done. Thoughts from one character would be written about and suddenly switch to the next with no warning. It would have been better to just focus on one character, like Rynah. The writing was often broken up by parentheses to add extra descriptions to characters, settings, or objects. I would have prefered these extra details to be added in between commas or not at all. Often times throughout the book, descriptions for things are changed or it seems that words have just been put into a thesaurus and changed to sound more intelligent. For example, the grass on Rynah’s home planet changes from royal purple to emerald green to emerald green with a purple tint to emerald green again. Another example is Solon who is the philosopher is called a soothsayer and not once did he foresee the future.

The characters were one-dimensional and very predictable. Rynah was always cold and unforgiving. Rynah would show some development at bettering herself, then something would happen to would turn her back to being angry. Solaris was a mother-figure, banishing people to rooms, scolding mostly Rynah, and nurturing to others on the ship. Solon, the philosopher, often didn’t add much to any conversation except generic fortune cookie sayings. Alfric, the viking, was just the strong arm of the party, hacking and slashing at any enemy in their way. Brie, a teenager from modern times, often becomes the damsel in distress and is self aware that she is useless character. And last, but not least, Tom, the inventor from the future, who overall is just a bland character.

Solaris Seethes being a sci-fi book, one might come to expect the science to be a little ambiguous, but not totally unbelievable. There were a few details missing that made the story a bit unbelievable. For example, the crystal on Rynah’s planet stabilizes the magnetic field. After the crystal is stolen and the heroes return to the planet after a week, they find a lab assistant who has been living there for about a week with no issues. Also, the lack of gravity and opening doors to space seem to be a problem, as Rynah goes out to fix an issues and has Alfric hold a rope that is tied to her so she doesn’t float away. As Alfric pulls her back to Solaris while standing in an open door to space, the rope coils down at his feet. Once back in the ship, Alfric and Rynah lay on the floor before eventually shutting the door to space. There are other inconsistencies as well that don’t match up with actual science.

Overall, I give this book a 1 out of 4 stars. There are many issues with words, details, and grammar that should have been picked out during the editing process. The characters are flat, boring, and predictable. The science within the book is implausible and could have been rectified with a simple Google search. I, unfortunately, won’t be continuing to read the rest of the series and wouldn’t recommend the book.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Eryn Bradshaw's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

There' are many great analytical insights here. You're clear about the book's good points whilst also making it clear why you're giving it a low rating. I'm with you on the point about scientific credibility: even if the genre is sci-fi/fantasy, writers can't get away with just anything - it has to make some kind of sense. Hope the next book you review is more to your taste.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I love it that you noticed rope coiling on the floor in zero gravity. It’s the kind of stuff that has me banging my head on the table when I read sci-fi. I considered reviewing this book until I read the first page where it described her ‘form fitting uniform’ and boots that ‘lace up the sides’. You have convinced me that I made the right decision.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:40 There' are many great analytical insights here. You're clear about the book's good points whilst also making it clear why you're giving it a low rating. I'm with you on the point about scientific credibility: even if the genre is sci-fi/fantasy, writers can't get away with just anything - it has to make some kind of sense. Hope the next book you review is more to your taste.
Yes, I totally agree. It's nice that writing gives authors creative license, but when it doesn't match up with actual science, it can be difficult to find it believable. Thank you though! I'm enjoying my next book so far!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:56 Great review. I love it that you noticed rope coiling on the floor in zero gravity. It’s the kind of stuff that has me banging my head on the table when I read sci-fi. I considered reviewing this book until I read the first page where it described her ‘form fitting uniform’ and boots that ‘lace up the sides’. You have convinced me that I made the right decision.
I wasn't just banging my head on the table, I was actually shouting at the book. I think it's the first time I've gotten audibly angry over fiction. I think that the idea of the story was very good, just executed poorly.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Even an average book can become better with stronger character development. Sorry this book fell flat :(
Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 04:20 Even an average book can become better with stronger character development. Sorry this book fell flat :(
Thanks for the review!
So true! Give me a healthy character and I'll be hooked. I don't think it would have completely redeemed this book for me, but it would have been a bit more bearable.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

A sci-fi book should either follow established science or create its own theories and hold fast to them. Solaris doesn't seem to achieve either.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

qsusan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:15 A sci-fi book should either follow established science or create its own theories and hold fast to them. Solaris doesn't seem to achieve either.
Yes, I agree. It's, unfortunately, a bit all over the place for a sci-fi book.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your insightful review - it's always sad to hear that characters are one-dimensional, and that there were many errors. Especially with you mentioned about coiling rope in a zero-gravity area - this ought to have been caught by the editor (if there was one).
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like such a great premise. Too bad it fell flat. I hate when the characterization is lacking.
TME888
Favorite Book: Lasher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tme888.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by TME888 »

:techie-studyingbrown: What a great and honest review...I am not much of a sci-fan although took a science fiction class in college....thumbs up for your honesty :tiphat:
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:09
Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:56 Great review. I love it that you noticed rope coiling on the floor in zero gravity. It’s the kind of stuff that has me banging my head on the table when I read sci-fi. I considered reviewing this book until I read the first page where it described her ‘form fitting uniform’ and boots that ‘lace up the sides’. You have convinced me that I made the right decision.
I wasn't just banging my head on the table, I was actually shouting at the book. I think it's the first time I've gotten audibly angry over fiction. I think that the idea of the story was very good, just executed poorly.
Oh my yes, that scene of climbing out of the spaceship to fix something. I had out loud words with the book on that one too. It's YA so I am pretty over forgiving but that one sticks out in memory. Excellent review!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 23:02
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:09
Oh my yes, that scene of climbing out of the spaceship to fix something. I had out loud words with the book on that one too. It's YA so I am pretty over forgiving but that one sticks out in memory. Excellent review!
Thanks! I think it being YA doesn't really excuse incorrect science. I suppose you might not pick up on it if you're reading it as a teenager, depending on how much you know science-wise, but there are plenty of adults who read YA as their preferred choice of books and they'd notice inaccuracies pretty quick.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

A sci-fi novel with one-dimensional characters looks like a bad combination. Great analysis of the book Eryn! I loved reading your review. :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”