Review by Damie994 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damie994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damie994.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Review by Damie994 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Damie994 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can I be Frank
Review by Olabanji Damilola
Can I be Frank is fiction written by Rob Wyatt and is a book of many firsts. It is a very amusing account of a young, clumsy British priest on his very first assignment, his first time outside home, worse still, in another country.

The book explored similarities and differences between the British and American cultures. It also explored the need for an individual to feel first like a person rather than what position they hold in the society. The book also discussed true religion as good works rather than fitting into church. It encouraged the church to be a part of the society it is in, to accept everybody and not worship wealth. It writer encouraged the preacher to actually study the Bible, be well read and watch over his flock. The writer also explored the use of migrant workers as cheap labour and what could be done about it.

I liked the style of writing. I liked the organization of the book and I loved the storytelling. I enjoyed laughing. I didn’t notice any errors despite the use of both American and British English in the writing and with that, I am quite impressed. The writer also demonstrated good knowledge of both cultures and of the routines in the Catholic Church. My favourite part of the book was when Bill acknowledged Frank by his name. It sure was a relief both to Frank and myself (a preacher’s kid), to be acknowledged as an individual rather than have to live up to enormous expectations.

I think the chapters were short though well written I would have preferred if they were longer. The use of the Bible verses at the beginning of the chapters I also considered sometimes inappropriate. The part of the book I disliked most was the use of Mexicans as cheap labour, though it reflects the true situation in many parts of the world I would have preferred if the writer had stuck to the use of migrant wotkers that aren’t necessarily Mexicans. I don’t think Mexicans would like to read the book.

I would like to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars it was fun to read yet realistic. The writer was comfortable with the subject of discourse and he communicated his ideas well. The book appeals both to the academic and the emotional side of the reader.

It really was an entertaining read.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Damie994's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

Excellent review! I just finished reviewing this book too and also gave it four out of four stars. And interestingly enough, I'm also a preacher's kid. I like how you managed to explore the themes of the book without giving anything away :)
Damie994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damie994.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Damie994 »

Thank you. 😀

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”