Review by Mihra Shorey -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mihra Shorey
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihra-shorey.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Mihra Shorey -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Mihra Shorey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart has just been transferred to a new police station. She approaches her new job and role in Serious Crimes with caution, having a terrible experience working with the crooked and sexist group of police officers at her last station. She soon turns out to be one of the leading roles in solving a set of gruesome murders that all occur on a Tuesday at 11:05 PM. Her new coworkers are nothing like the previous group. They work well together as a team under the lead of Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan, have each other’s back, and a new budding romance occurs.

The story is set in modern Northern Ireland. O’Hare incorporates a bit of real events and history into the narrative, including the troubles of the 90’s, and I quite liked that. The 11:05 Murders includes a little bit of everything to keep your interest. There’s mystery, violence, romance, and relatable humor. The prologue starts off very intense. It immediately catches your attention and keeps it throughout. I’m somewhat new to murder mystery books but I have seen plenty of TV shows dealing with this topic. This book has all of the great features of a pull-you-in CSI show, except its better. You’re visualizing the scene, the events happening, and getting a lot more detail and more enveloped into the investigation than you could be watching a TV show.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not think of a single thing that would compel me to give it fewer stars. I personally found the book quite pleasant and easy to read. O’Hare writes a solid description of the scenes which makes you visualize the story easily and place yourself within it. I noticed that this is volume 2 of the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries. I was thinking I might check out Volume 1 sometime since I enjoyed the second one. Volume 2 was written from the point of view of Denise Stewart after joining Sheehan’s squad so I am curious if the first volume will be from the point of view of Sheehan himself.

The 11:05 Murders is written for an adult audience. There is graphic violence, sexual content, and profanity so I would recommend being 18+ to read this.

If you like mystery, then this is the book for you. If you are new to mystery or not sure if you’d like the genre, then this is the book to get you hooked on it. O’Hare kept me guessing the entire way through the book as to who might be the killer.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mihra Shorey's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”