Review by derobil -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derobil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derobil.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by derobil -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by derobil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice by Morton E. Tavel, MD, is a comprehensive medical book outlined in layman’s terms that gives the reader clarification, confirmation, and answers to many of the questions about health needs in the modern world.

Ethics in the health sector is strongly tackled in this fairly complete look at the human anatomy and the tricks that various companies, people presenting themselves as health experts, and even some doctors use to try to sway us into wasting our money on things that just do not work. And the problem is, that many of these people with ulterior motives, are steering many of us from things that do work…medicines that have been researched, tried, and tested many times over.
Things touched on in the book range from drinking water, nutrition, heart disease, food contaminants such as arsenic, genetically modified (GM) foods, gluten, diabetics, allergens, global warming, potassium chloride, cell phones, Wifi networks, probiotics, to name a few.

I personally enjoyed the book, as it confirmed to me what I have been thinking for years, and that is, that marketing companies, health fads, and people trying to make a buck are pulling the wool over our eyes and harming us with ill-advice, inconclusive evidence, bad products, and taking hard-earned money from people for things that simply do not work. And, at the same time, jeopardizing our health at the same time!!!

Part of me was hoping for more information on things like Alzheimer’s, nutrition for eyes, and info on whether it is okay to buy inexpensive store-bought reading glasses, as well as, addressing the phase of earring aids and the numerous hearing aid companies out there. However, to learn the numerous things I have, such as, things like arsenic in our food and the importance of this knowledge, more than makes up for some things I was wishing to find. And potassium chloride in your water softener instead of salt…I didn’t even know that was possible. Certainly, a good option for people trying to reduce salt and the chances of heart disease in their life.

I liked the way Dr. Tavel wrote a conclusion at the end of many of the chapters, summarizing what was said throughout the chapter…it makes for good sense and makes for a quick reread of the chapter to confirm quickly what you have just read.

The only typing error I noticed in the book was Chapter 36, page 2…I think it meant to read bold-faced, not bald-faced. Also, my epub version of the book; the title says Tips, Myths, and Rips instead of Tips, Myths, and Tricks.

At first, I thought maybe the book was a little too simplistic, but then realized some of these things are not complicated…sometimes people try to make things complicated, when often we should be just sticking to the basics in life. Complications sometimes confuse people, and then, they waver and end up spending money on things they just do not need. If you want to be healthier and save some money, it may be a good idea to read this very informative book.

I give the book a 4 out of 4 stars, and hope more people read this book and understand the importance of being aware of what is out there and the importance of what genetically modified foods could actually do to help the millions and millions of people who are under-nourished in the poor nations around the world.

Thank you Dr. Tavel, for writing this book and helping to open the eyes and minds of many who just do not know or understand all the complex issues involved in medicine and all the trickery presented to the general public.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like derobil's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great comments on the book. There were a lot of topics covered, but like you said, there are others that could have been included. We see the ads on tv all the time, so some commentary on them would have been helpful. Very thoughtful review.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I share your sentiments expressed about the merits of this book, as there is currently an overload of misinformation and deliberate scams to fleece customers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”