Review by JeriTrice -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JeriTrice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeritrice.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Review by JeriTrice -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by JeriTrice »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief, Book One of the Magi Charter by Jordan David is the first of nine books in the series. The Elf Brief follows the adventures of Noel Night, an elf – young by elfin standards – who was plucked from the reference department to work on a special assignment for the big man himself.

Noel is embedded with the First Contact Department (FCD) as they bring a new Santa on board to complete the mission assigned to him by the outgoing Santa Claus. His tenacious and unrelenting attitude helps him push against the traditional political boundaries of department traditions which are centuries old in order to complete his mission and to answer questions his clever mind comes across while fulfilling his duties.

David creates a North Pole with many specialized elf teams, designated by their hat color, which all work smoothly together to form the well-oiled machine which is responsible for the one night of magic for all the world’s children. I am definitely looking forward to reading more in the additional books to see where the author takes the North Pole.

The book is an easy read, suitable for all age levels as even children and teens can delight in learning the inner workings of the North Pole, the places dreams are made. The theme of the seeming underdog character rising to the top of the “pile” is one that every reader can wish for in his own life.

The author does a solid job of developing the main characters in not only a way that works for this book for also leaves room for expansion in his additional books. Because of Noel’s special assignment, Noel and the new Santa Nicholas are able to form a special bond which is reinforced by many comical events during training and the final run. The humor that was employed was refreshing and quite entertaining. Every character has a defined personality, even down to differences between the training reindeer and the reindeer flying on Christmas Eve.

As much as I enjoyed the book and wanted to provide the highest rating, I rated this book a 3 out of 4 stars because of several grammatical and word choice errors. Some errors should have been caught by a word processing program while others would have only been caught by someone else reading the content. Better copy editing would make for a smoother read for the consumer. Some errors were easy to skim over while some caused a significant interruption in the flow of the story.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JeriTrice's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”