Review by Lit2018 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lit2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lit2018.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by Lit2018 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lit2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games:Mystery of the Four Quadrants is a fictional book by Caleb J. Boyer.

This is a story of bestfriends Ryan and Matthew who awakened in an island unknown to both of them. What's worse was that they did not remember what had happened and how they got there. The only thing they remembered was their names and that they are friends. It seemed that someone had played games on them and that put them there on purpose.

Their adventure started in the shore of that mysterious island. With only their clothes on, both boys seemed so helpless and vulnerable. But they managed to survive simply by helping each other and working together to overcome every obstacles that came their way as they find their way back home.

The boys journey from the shore, through the thick and creepy jungle and to the discovery of the old temple and to the other quadrants were really full of thrill. All the beast-fighting were overwhelming and the chance of surviving seemed to be very slim. But what's amazing was that everytime they had to face a challenge, something was there, like someone prepared something for them to use to defend themselves. So they are not totally defenseless at all.

What I like most of the story is on how the author presented the value of true friendship. I admire the boys cooperation and loyalty to each other. Despite of all the difficult situations they encountered, neither dared to take advantage from the other. However, I am not impressed in the way the author presented the events in each scene. It is very predictable, like you already know that at this point of the story, this certain thing will happen to the characters. And besides, what's with the round platform? Why it has always to be round? If the author is trying to relate the story to our real-life situation, then in what part of our life that this round platform belong?

I give this story a rating of 3 out of 4. I am not satisfied with the ending. I never expect the story will just end up that way. It left me hanging. Will they able to get out in that volcano? "The platform rose, the temperature climbed, the pressure continued to build, and then…everything went black..." How come the author said that they captured the mysterious island games if at the end, everything went black?

Well anyway, the story still entertained and left me breathless at some point. So I want to recommend this to young individuals who love thrills and adventure.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lit2018's review? Post a comment saying so!
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Astrocelot »

I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like this author could have had a real winner of a YA novel on their hands - something like The Hunger Games almost, just a tad less well-executed. Honestly, I'd be down to read it just to see a really close friendship played out well! Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”