Review by ayoomisope -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Review by ayoomisope -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs.]

There’s been a lot of conflicting views on the account of the Garden of Eden in the first book of the Bible and more so a lot of Christians and non-Christians have always been confused on the subject of sin and why we battle with it.

Who Told You You Were Naked
by William E. Combs is a non-fiction religious book that answers these questions and delves deeply into the account of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as well as the fall and redemption of man.

The book begins by describing the first days of the first man, Adam in the Garden of Eden. God gives him an instruction to eat freely of every tree except the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, reckoning that, he would die the day he undertakes such act. His wife is later deceived by the serpent (denoting the devil), eats of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and she also gives her husband to eat of it. The couple’s eyes open and they feel embarrassed and naked in front of each other. They make improvised clothes for each other from fig leaves and swiftly hide when they hear God walking in the garden. God calls out to Adam but Adam is ashamed and afraid to present himself to God and tells God that he is naked. God recognizes they ate from the fruit and curses the serpent. He makes clothes for them and chases them out of the garden.

In the book, nakedness is described as “individual differences between their mates and also God” which leads to death that the couple incurs as both relational and spiritual. Sin is also described as not just wrongful acts but also a consequence of the knowledge of good and evil inherited from Adam and “the fountainhead of our transgressions.” The author points out that struggling with sin only leads to frustration and sincere repentance is necessary (not just seeing ourselves as good). And after salvation, behavioural modification is requisite and has to be continuously worked on by denying self, following Christ and taking up one’s cross.

The book is memorable and instructive. I love how the first few chapters of the book employ distinctive elements of conjecture and dramatization to help readers be involved in the story of the Book of Genesis of the Bible. Also, I love how some religious terms (such as sin and transgression) are properly defined and the solutions provided to deal with the full ramifications of sin. Furthermore, the author answers some long debated religious questions such as, “Why did God put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden of Eden?”

However, I give Who Told You You Were Naked a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This is because of a proposition in the book that healing is proscribed if the will of God is not inquired. I believe that God is always ready to heal any person of any infirmity as evidenced in the Bible and discussed extensively in books on healing written by Kenneth E. Hagin and Andrew Wommack.

This book is a must-read for whoever wants to understand the position of man after the fall in the Garden of Eden and the reason for redemption through Christ. It also helps to comprehend why we struggle with sin and the need for us to consider ourselves dead to sin and alive to Christ Jesus continuously.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments. You state that God is always ready to heal any person of any infirmity. God always puts our spiritual welfare above the physical since the spiritual is eternal, but the physical is finite. Paul was never totally healed. Also Timothy also suffered of a constant stomach ailment. But, that is always the struggle, to keep our eyes on the eternal city that is to come and not on this physical and material world. Nice job.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:50 Thanks for your comments. You state that God is always ready to heal any person of any infirmity. God always puts our spiritual welfare above the physical since the spiritual is eternal, but the physical is finite. Paul was never totally healed. Also Timothy also suffered of a constant stomach ailment. But, that is always the struggle, to keep our eyes on the eternal city that is to come and not on this physical and material world. Nice job.
Thank you for your comment and perspective. What you say is true. Also, the Bible says we understand in parts and so, I definitely don't have all the answers. But one thing, I come from a country where it is popular belief that whatever happens to you is God-ordained (either good or bad). Hence, a lot of people live their lives by chance and when they are sick, for instance, they believe God caused it and He has a reason for it. Even if that were true, it can't be that God is the author of all sicknesses in the world and everyone should, at least, seek healing in God (just like Paul).
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

This was my first review though. I'm glad I was able to review a book I could properly enjoy.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Great review. The book seems to ground itself in Biblical principles and answer many questions. I'd love to read it myself.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

@stedape. I believe so too. I would love to read more religious books here on OBC.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 13:50 Thanks for your comments. You state that God is always ready to heal any person of any infirmity. God always puts our spiritual welfare above the physical since the spiritual is eternal, but the physical is finite. Paul was never totally healed. Also, Timothy also suffered from a constant stomach ailment. But, that is always the struggle, to keep our eyes on the eternal city that is to come and not on this physical and material world. Nice job.
What book are you currently reading? Is it a religious one?
― Charles William Eliot
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

Great review. I would love to read religious books on here also.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

I love to read different views in this book. Christian community really love this book. Nice review
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Great review ayo, I also like the fact that the book is instructive and insightful. It actually explained the silent question in the 3rd book of Genesis, fall of man, and salvation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”